First Interview Jitters | Teen Ink

First Interview Jitters

April 24, 2013
By rattychipmunk BRONZE, Penrith, Other
rattychipmunk BRONZE, Penrith, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take that rage, put it on a page,
Take the page to the stage, blow the roof off the place...


A couple of days ago (well, Tuesday to be exact) I had my very first job interview. Yes, that’s right, my very first interview ever. Gosh I was nervous. Well, terrified would be a better word. It was for a job in the library of a secondary school. It was at the ‘other’ secondary school in the town, ie not the one I attended as a student for seven years. My friends from my old school said I was “betraying the school”, but I didn’t mind. I never involved myself in the ‘rivalry’ between the two schools. Anyway, back to my interview. The day’s itinerary consisted of ‘informal chats’ with the library staff, before having lunch with the students who help in the library, followed by the dreaded ‘formal interview’. And I was rather scared. I didn’t know what to expect at all, having never been to any sort of job interview before (and before you say it, the mock ones set up by the Careers Advisors at school do not count). Anyway, I threw myself into the interview process, and after a day which I think went as well as possible (despite not being successful in getting the job), I definitely learnt some valuable lessons. So here is my ‘interview tip list’ (original name I know) that I have put together based on my day.

1)
Be honest. I didn’t know how to answer one of the questions in the formal interview (they asked me what I’d do in a certain situation), but instead of saying what I thought they wanted to hear, I told them the truth. I said “I don’t know, but hopefully if I got the job, I would have been trained in what to do.” They thanked me for being honest, which was a relief.

2)
If the person leading the interview says to the candidates “If you don’t want to continue with the interview process, feel free to tell me now”, it is probably best not to then say “Speak now or forever hold your peace”, as you’ll get some funny looks from everyone who heard you.

3)
If, halfway through the interview, you realise there is a hole in your trousers, don’t fiddle with it. You’ll only make it bigger. Not to mention you’ll probably look a bit strange fiddling about with your trousers, especially when you also have a look of horror on your face.

4)
Do remember that your interviewers are human beings just like you. So doing normal things like saying “Ooh, I’m in the hot seat” when you sit down will (hopefully) make them laugh and remind them you are a normal person too.

So they’re my top tips! I’m mostly glad I’ve got my first interview over with, because now I know what to expect (well, generally) and won’t be as terrified next time!


The author's comments:
I wrote this for a 'blogging' competition, but didn't win (unfortunately) although I was shortlisted in the top five, which was nice. I hope it helps in the world of job-hunting, but if it only manages to amuse you that would still be lovely.