Choosing Hannah | Teen Ink

Choosing Hannah

March 17, 2013
By Katlyn Smith SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
Katlyn Smith SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It is the last day of July. It is a nice, warm, and sunny day. I am six. I am crazy, curly headed, loud kid, and today my parents told my sister and I that we are going to choose a puppy. This puppy me and my sister get to choose. We are beyond excited. This puppy and this day is going to be and interesting one.

The time is 7:00 in the morning. My mom, my sister, and I are all in the living room staring at the big computer screen. The giant screen has a picture of twelve puppies, big and small, that are for sale. We are trying to choose which one we like, but we just can’t agree with each other. Then my dad yells, “ Breakfast is done! Come and get it before I eat it all!” We all know that he is not joking so we rush into the kitchen and sit in the big wooden chairs that surround the round table. My sister and I eat fast because we know that after breakfast we will get to choose our puppies.

My whole family is with me in our silver jeep and listening to “Hey There Delilah” on the radio, when my mom yells, “We are going to Indiana. That is where the puppies are at.” Then while sitting in our colorful booster seats with a chocolate milk in our laps, my sister and I scream at the top of our lungs. This earns us a warning glare from our father and we decide to be quiet. After this, I look out the window and see fields of beans and corn stalks a couple of feet taller than me. I hear my mom say, “We are almost there!”, and I become giddy with excitement.

We come to a stop and I look out my window while inhaling sharply. I see a cute little house and smell vanilla from my mom’s car scent tree. I open my door and take a quick step outside. I almost immediately hear barking from inside. One bark is deep and rough, but another bark is high pitched and loud, almost like a child squealing with joy. I can feel my body shake with excitement knowing that our puppy is in that house. My whole family walks up the sidewalk and to the door. My father pushes the little button on the doorbell, and I can hear the ding-dong of the bell. The big silver door knob starts to turn and we are greeted by two people, a man and a woman. They introduce themselves and our parents introduce us. Next, my sister and I ask, “Where are the puppies at?” They tell us that we will meet them soon.

They bring us into a small room with a couch and floral wallpaper, and then they bring out the parents of the puppies. The mother is a short dog whose hair is a very light golden color, almost white, and the dad is the exact opposite. He is a tall dog whose hair is a very dark golden color, almost red. Soon after that, they set us down on a quilt that is covered in dog toys and they bring out the puppies. One by one, we narrow it down to one puppy. The puppy that we narrowed it down to is light colored like her mother, but big like her father. She also has fish-like eyes and she kind of wobbles everywhere because of her big belly. Our parents tried to convince my sister and me to choose another dog, but we are very stubborn and will not budge.

In the end we chose the right dog for our family. Her name is no Hannah and she is still light colored like her mom, but heavy like her dad. She grew out of her fish-like eyes a couple of months after we brought her home. Now, she likes to think of herself as a lap dog bit is a little to big to be one!