Catch Your Breath | Teen Ink

Catch Your Breath

By vall14 BRONZE, Cranston, Rhode Island
vall14 BRONZE, Cranston, Rhode Island

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown

“Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.” Spoken by an unknown individual, this quote reveals how each day we are presented with “breathtaking” experiences, which lead us to the realization of how blessed and lucky our lives are. They are the kinds of moments that send a shiver down our spines and make us forget where we are, or what is going on in our lives. Those rare flashes of radiance lead us to the moments that can turn our lives in a different direction, into the leaders we are meant to be. Moments like these have the effect of creating change within oneself, which can then motivate one to become something more than just “anyone.”

What is breathtaking? Breathtaking is the feeling that evolves from an experience which compels us to look inward. It makes us feel as though we have an instant understanding of the “underlying beauty of the spectacular, where there is meaning and significance.” (Carson) Moments like these are very unique and profound; therefore, if we are captured in a moment where we are left speechless by the sight of nature’s brilliance, we are truly fortunate. From the experience, we are left with the deepest appreciation for life. We may then use this deeper understanding of nature to also create change in others.

Standing at the top of Mount Tortugero in Costa Rica last summer, I felt as though I had reached the top of the world. We had been hiking for two hours through the jungle, ascending higher each step we took, and enjoying the view of different foliage and animals along the way. Once we reached the peak, I was awestruck by the serene currents of the rivers as they moved swiftly to meet each other further along. As I closed my eyes and enjoyed the soft breeze that encompassed me, I could easily imagine the various animals that had traveled along each curve of the canal. It was an unforgettable experience because it truly transformed me with its breathtaking, picturesque view. I tried to memorize each detail of the landscape before me, never wanting to forget the joy that flooded my heart. I exhaled my breath I had not realized I was holding, only then aware of the perfection before me. In that moment, nothing else existed, except nature and me. Time stopped and, I could have been standing there for hours, but as I was forced to come back to reality, only minutes had passed. That view from the top had made the hike worthwhile and will be imprinted in my mind forever. I was left speechless and longed to never depart from that untouched moment. It left me catching my breath because it was the first time I had truly appreciated what has been given to us. I descended from the crest of the mountain that day with a changed outlook on nature. From then on, I had a greater awareness of all the life around me.

Nature has always been an essential part of life. Contrary to popular belief, we need nature more than nature needs us. It is the connection which helps us to understand the world and how we all fit into it. Unfortunately, people do not appreciate or care for the environment as well as they used to. Human beings “invent an existence that they imagine to be above the rest of life” (Thomas). However, if people even took a minute to fully grasp the worth of their surroundings and understand the beauty they are blind to, we may all experience “breathtaking” occurrences. Then again, “breathtaking” moments are not ordinary, everyday encounters; they make us feel as if the world has stopped. Suddenly, we exist in a world where time is endless, where the ground is released from under our feet, where we are merely small pieces that are part of a vast universe, where there are no worries or obstacles, and where our hearts are only filled with love.

The moments in life when we are genuinely inspired by the views of nature supply us with a motivation we may have never felt before. The memories of that particular moment in time when I was at the mountain top, and the feelings I felt are occurrences that will shape who I become and grow into as I learn to understand them more thoroughly. As Rick Bass states in A Texas Childhood, “Wilderness and green pastoral meadows sculpt us even now, as do the last few blank spots on the map” (Bass). We often mistake the earth’s natural resources as replaceable. However, once we run out, what will we do? Many people today do not appreciate what is given to us, such as the vigorous waterfalls in Costa Rica, the rolling mountains in New Hampshire, the relaxing beaches in Bermuda, and the diverse rainforests in Puerto Rico. These gifts which were created for the pleasure and inspiration of people are also being destroyed by those same people because they are ignorant to the simple beauties and joys that can be found in any spontaneous moment. In order to experience these kinds of moments, we must be unreservedly open to our surroundings. Opening our minds to the value around us may shape us into who we strive to be. Therefore, we must always keep our minds and hearts open to the beauty and insight presented to us by nature, because it may not be here forever.