Broke Down | Teen Ink

Broke Down

By gamerguy BRONZE, Medford, Oregon
gamerguy BRONZE, Medford, Oregon

Shivering would describe how my day started. When I woke up around 6AM, I saw a hole in my bedroom window. My mom covered up the hole with plastic after I complained to her about the window. Besides that, it was a normal day, until my brother-in-law, my half-sister, and my nephew came over.

Brett, my brother-in-law came over to ask if I wanted to go trailing. I complained since I had nothing better to do today. We loaded up his brand new Chevy Tahoe with snacks, fuzzy blankets, and three boxes of Capri-Suns, and of course, who can forget my nephew’s binky and his toys. Rachelle, my half-sister, decided for us on where to go, and she ended up choosing the back-road on the Applegate Trail. So we hit the roads and we were on our way.

We were sliding to the left and right of our seats as we were trailing the Applegate Trail. All of a sudden, we hear a high pitched wheezing noise coming from the Tahoe; it ended up being Brett’s back-right tire beginning to go flat. Forced to pull over on the side of the rocky trail, we attempted to call for assistance, but like in the movies, we had no cell phone service. I just plain don’t have a phone. Rachelle, Jace my nephew, and I stayed with the Tahoe as Brett walked down the trail to attempt to get a signal.

After what must have been an hour, another truck pulls up. It contained Brett and his best friend Marc with an air compressor. We were unable to fix the tire, but we did mage to plug up the hole with my last piece of gum, which was unfortunate for me to give up. It got us just far enough to the point where we made it to an offside home just off the trail. Thankfully, somebody was home. As Brett and Marc requested assistance from the husband of the old couple who lived here, the wife guided us back to her patio and offered us ice cream and milk for my nephew. We gladly accepted the kind gesture.

A half-an-hour later, the Tahoe was finished with its repairs on the blown out tire. Our little crew waved goodbye as the wind would wave over the grass. We ventured down the long, narrow road back towards Medford. This has been quite a day for all of us. When I arrived back at my shabby place, my mom asked us what we did, because she did not know. I simply replied, “Nothing much”.