The Spectrum | Teen Ink

The Spectrum

By elliphantla GOLD, Merritt Island, Florida
elliphantla GOLD, Merritt Island, Florida

You've got to be able to laugh at the Gadsden Purchase. It's what life's all about.

I was curious and began wondering what it would be like to see the world in black and white. I couldn’t imagine what the world would be like without color. My mind wandered and I took it upon myself to do a bit of research.

One idea led to another. What is the importance of color and what mood does a color portray?

Red is supposed to make you and others around you feel energized. Orange apparently is social, opens communication channels, and relaxes tension. Yellow is the color of control and perfection. Green stands for balance, security, and comfort. Blue is peaceful and promotes loyalty, honesty, and trust. Purple is known as the color of royalty and sophistication. Brown is the color of stability.

But, then, after a while fiddling on my laptop I came upon another curiosity. I remembered a conversation that I had been having with a friend last week. We had come upon an odd idea: What if I saw something and my eyes registered the color to be blue while she saw the same thing but to her it looked red? Is that possible? So, my friend wondered aloud about the spectrum of light and I mulled over the idea. I had never thought about that before. Why would someone see something as one color but another person sees it as a different color? It was a difficult concept for me to grasp while my friend rambled on, saying random things, as she usually did. When I reminded her of the possibility, her eyes lit up and she drummed her fingers on the table thoughtfully.

So what is the mystery behind the spectrum of light?

There was really no particular inspiration to this article besides me just being merely curious...again.