Lost In the Wilderness | Teen Ink

Lost In the Wilderness

My family and I were in the beautiful boundary waters in Minnesota. Fishing was terrible; we only caught one fish. With the gray ugly sky above us we were ready to catch some fish., So we made an agreement with each other to head over to Swamp Lake which is a great walleye lake. The trail looked like an animal trail...

I was between my dad with the canoe and my mom with fishing pole. I began to lose to sight of them but i kept going calmly until about 10 minutes without seeing anyone and then I began to freak out. I dropped my bag and sprinted back down the trail. I remembered in my head that there was a fallen tree that I had to go over and a rose a little farther down the trail. I saw the log and then I saw the rose. I was beginning to have hope. But then I had another 5 minutes go by without seeing anyone. I stopped dead in my tracks. I decided to wait until I heard water or people. 10 minutes waiting... 15 minutes waiting! Wait... do I see paddles. I got up and sprinted that way and saw my mom standing there. I said “ I thought I was lost mom... I thought I was lost.”
She replied “Its alright Kevin, You're alright”.

I went with her until I found my bag and glued to her the rest of the way. The fishing turned out to be just as terrible at the new spot and my brother Dalton broke his sandal. To add to that I was against the wind paddling the whole entire time on the way back. I had straight winds coming 20-30 miles per hour at me. The waves were crashing in on the canoe. I would paddle as hard as I could and get about an inch per stroke. My abdominals were on fire like the burning lake of sulfur. I was whooped having to stop at every island just to get a break and boy was it nice to get that wind out of my face. Finally I saw the boat landing where our vehicle was. It pumped me up to where I was averaging about 3 inches per stroke, beauty was not keeping me from going backwards. I had pure determination. I got back to the car and had a fresh water and it was so lovely.

I remember on the way home praying and thanking Yahweh for keeping me safe and allowing me to stay on the right path and giving me the strength to get home. Since that happened my favorite verse became Psalm 100:5, I am a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path.

I wrote this because I was having bad dreams from this experience I had and I had to get it down on paper. Now I don't have nightmares any more.