The passing of a loved one. | Teen Ink

The passing of a loved one.

By MariaVargas GOLD, Alajuela, Other
MariaVargas GOLD, Alajuela, Other

Aside from all of my earlier visits to the hospital, this one was pleasant. I sat down under one of those trees they have on the yard right next to the emergency exit. It was a breezy, calm afternoon but then it hit me that about a year he had passed away.
I was sitting on the halls when they called my name. I went in. A nurse took me to the room where he was. The weakness in his eyes brought mine to tears. Oh, his sky blue eyes. I was shocked; the whole situation turned my mind into a blur. After all this time he was gone now. I grabbed his hand, just like I used to as a child, for the last time. I came closer to where his numb body was lying down and I whispered for the last time “Goodbye”.
The following months’ atmosphere was mellow and somehow harsh. We all missed him, specially my grandmother. The thoughts of his departure and the pictures of him around the house tore her down. The sparkle in her eyes was gone. He was the light of her life. They had been together for over fifty years. Even now she is not able to leave that sorrow behind, she has just learned to live with it, and so did we.
The sun briefly shone through the branches of the tree where I was sitting. It was almost like I heard his voice saying “Don’t worry. It all be ok now”. I knew he was there with me. In spirit. In soul.