The Final Years | Teen Ink

The Final Years

January 14, 2013
By jordinrai BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
jordinrai BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I never really thought I would have to go through so much pain in so little time at my young age, but I’ve learned things happen unexpectedly and I can’t stop it, as much as I wish Icould.
Three years ago I had a happy life, getting ready to enter high school and start a different journey. It all began months prior when things started going downhill. I have a really close relationship with my family, but especially with my Great Great- Grandma. Since I was a little girl, I called her Great Granny and it stuck. I never really knew her when I was little, but I knew who she was and had phone conversations when I got the chance. In 2006 she moved from Michigan to Washington and I instantly became attached. As she started getting older, I became more attached and loved spending as much time with her as possible. I never wanted to leave her side.

I remember always wanting to be the first person to do everything for her, even if it was small. If she wanted her nails painted, I did them. If she needed water or food, I got it. I tried to cherish every moment to the fullest.
She ended up in the hospital a few times and I knew it wouldn’t end well. I had a lot of sleepless nights, hoping everything would be fine. At times it was, but eventually it didn’t end fine. She tended to go to the hospital about every few weeks. She started slowing down as she got older. My grandma and great-grandma thought it would be a easier and better idea if she was in an elder home, and that’s where she went – to hospice. I knew then that there would be a big change happening when she entered hospice. My mom, grandma and I would go visit often, but it wasn’t the same.

In 2009, when I was in 8th grade, I was enjoying my day at school. I called my mom earlier in the day to tell her I was staying after school with a friend to finish work. She said it was okay and I went on with my day. After school came and went and I got a call from my mom saying we were going to dinner with family. I was full of joy, and couldn’t wait to see my mom. I got in the car with my mom and I instantly knew something wasn’t right. My mom lowered the music and told me my Great Granny had passed away earlier in the day. I had a lot of emotions going through, me including guilt. I didn’t get the chance to say my final goodbye and wish her a good, pain-free life in a better place.

This experience made me realize friends come and go, but family is always there, no matter what. My Great Great Grandma will always watch my back for me, until the day I die. I still think about her daily and it is impossible that she will be forgotten by me.
Last year I got two tattoos on my back which reads, “ Philippians 4:13” and another one that has her name under.. After she moved to Pasco for good, she would always say this verse from the Bible which is “I can go all things through Christ who strengthens me.” When she passed away my grandma carried it on, and to this day, she constantly says it. Every time my grandma says this verse it reminds me of my Great Great Grandma, which is why my tattoo is so special to me. When I hear the verse, I know she’s around and watching over on me and the rest of my family. I now take advantage of being with family as much as possible after this experience, in case something happens like this again. I’ve learned that time is precious and to take advantage of it as much as possible.