Rough Day | Teen Ink

Rough Day

By Dan2013 SILVER, Pasco, Washington
Dan2013 SILVER, Pasco, Washington

One day, it was an ordinary day, nothing special, just me being lazy. All of a sudden I get a phone call from my dad, he told me to get up and get to work. I was confused. Then I remembered that I had to set up two bouncy houses for our clients. I wasn’t really feeling like working, I was too lazy, but I sucked it up and went to work.

I was alone with my two dogs Preciosa and Peluche and I started to put the jumpers on the truck, man they were heavy. The weather was not that great, it was chilly. I started driving to my grandparent’s house to pick up my uncle who was going to help me with the jumpers.

On our first jumper it was easy, it was a customer that we already had, so I already knew where everything needed to be set up. The only thing that sucked was that it was cold, so we tried our best to hurry up. It took us ten minutes to finish putting up the jumper, once we were done I went over to my cousin’s house to check out what they were doing. When I arrived they were making pizza, so I had arrived in time to eat. I was happy that I was going to eat, I didn’t have much money on me.

After I was done eating the pizza, I received a phone call from another client; he wanted us to go deliver a bouncy house to their house. He gave me his address and phone number. I told my uncle about it and I drove to my house to pick up the jumper he wanted. We were in a hurry because we were supposed to deliver the other jumper before 3 and it was 1:20.

When we were heading to the client’s house I asked my uncle to GPS the address to make it easier to find. He asked me what the address was and I told him I wrote it down on a pink piece of paper, he told me he couldn’t find a pink paper. I looked to see where I had put it and started to realize that I wrote it down on a piece of paper, but I didn’t I grab it. I pulled over to call my cousin and see if the paper was still on the table, It was and I asked my cousin if she could give me the client’s information.

I asked my uncle if he could GPS the address, but it wouldn’t show where the house was. I called the client to ask if he could give us directions to his house. He didn’t know because he didn’t live there that it was his friend’s house. We had to call our client’s friend for directions.

Once we arrived to his house we went to go set up the jumper. We had to go up a hill and his entrance to the back yard was filled with rock. This made it hard for us; it took us 10 minutes to get to the backyard. When we got inside his yard he had two huge dogs, one was a Rottweiler and the other one was a German shepherd, they looked like mean dogs, but they were very playful. We had to be careful because there was dog poop all over the yard and we didn’t want to step on any or get the jumper dirty.

Once we were done setting up the jumper we were still on time and we made sure we cleaned our shoes before we entered the truck. I tried to turn on the car but the engine just started to rattle then the car shut off. I was surprised and tried again, and but car didn’t turn on. I waited a little longer to try to turn on the car but all that was heard was a continuous beeping noise. After a while I began to get freaked out because we had less than 40 minutes to go deliver the other jumper. I called my dad to see if he could help us out, but he wouldn’t answer his phone. I called him a couple of times more and still he wouldn’t answer his phone. I decided to call my uncle’s house, but no one there answered their phones either.

I hated being parked on top of the hill so I decided to take off the emergency-brake and let the car go down slowly. The car went down fast instead and I stomped on the brakes, freaked out, trying to turn the car to the right. I didn’t want to block the street and I ended up blocking the whole street. I tried turning on the car when I was down there and it turned on. I looked to see what the problem was; it turned out to be that we didn’t have any gas.

I drove to the closest gas station and put all the money I had for gas which was only 5 dollars. My dad called me to see what was going on and I told him, I needed money for gas. He told me to go to where he was and he gave me money for gas. After more gas I went to set up the jumper, on time, to the last customer and it only took 10 minutes.

I was done. I drove my uncle to my grandparents’ house to drop him off and I went to my house, I just wanted to rest. I couldn’t believe that the truck didn’t want to turn on while I was working. It would’ve been bad if we showed up late for our last client, because that would’ve looked bad for us and we could’ve lost a customer for the future, but everything turn out good. Working is tough and I have to do a good job to make my customers happy. I stayed home for the rest of the day.