Cetaphobia: The Fear of Whales | Teen Ink

Cetaphobia: The Fear of Whales MAG

By natcac SILVER, Folsom, California
natcac SILVER, Folsom, California

1John 4:16

Everyone has an irrational fear. For some it is the color green; for others it could be the dark. In my case, it's whales. I don't know why everyone finds this so amusing and surprising, considering there are people out there scared of much weirder things, such as marshmallows (no offense if that's you). I mean, I see why fears like heights, snakes, or spiders are far more common and fairly accepted. You can fall, you can be bitten, but what are the chances of a whale swallowing you? I really have no idea. To be honest, my fear seems a little odd even to me, since I can't really give you a good reason. But, that's what makes it an irrational fear.

Every time someone learns about my fear of whales they're so entertained you'd think they'd been told I was scared of something as harmless as a teddy bear. In one class at school we were practicing descriptive writing, and naturally the teacher used a picture of a whale. Even though it was in its natural habitat and a photograph (for ­crying out loud), I could barely look at it without shuddering. So of course my friends told my teacher, who burst out laughing and wouldn't let it go. But cetaphobia is perfectly justifiable. I mean, if you really think about it, a fear of whales is reasonable.

For one thing, a killer whale (great name, huh?) has a dorsal fin six feet in length. And that's just the fin. But the killer whale, also known as orca, is relatively small. Compared to a humpback or a sperm whale, the orca is like a chihuahua next to a Great Dane.

Whales are ginormous. How is that not at least a little scary? Whales are the largest mammals (yes, mammals, complete with hair and the ability to nurse their babies), even dwarfing elephants. Their monstrous size is probably the leading factor in my fear.

Another reason for my fear is that I can't imagine swimming in the ocean with a whale right there beside me. I have reoccurring nightmares that I'm in the ocean, at school, or in some other public place and a whale (or multiple whales) appears and begins circling me and brushing up against me. This is terrifying. If anyone else with cetaphobia is reading this, he'll understand the terror of these dreams. How could any human get that close to a whale without freaking out? I swear you'd have to be a robot or something.

There are plenty of scary facts and explanations for cetaphobia, but I'll limit myself to just two more: their power/strength and their appearance. Considering their size, imagine how strong they must be. I mean, those things can take out great white sharks, a commonly feared ocean predator. Just let that sink in. It perplexes me that anyone would get onto a boat to go whale-watching when for all they know, the whale is right beneath them and might breech at any moment, capsizing the boat.

My parents don't understand my fear because they say “whales are so beautiful.” I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how whales can be considered beautiful. Out of all the creatures in the world, from lions to mice, you're telling me this giant creature covered in barnacles is beautiful? I mean, you could argue that crabs are stunning too.

Hopefully I have helped you understand that cetaphobia is real and perfectly reasonable. Or maybe you have some clarification about my fear of whales. If any part of this article has caused you to become afraid of whales or like them any less, I apologize.

This is for people who are wondering who in the world would be scared of whales and why. I'm interested to see who else shares my fear of whales. This probably isn't exactly a great piece of work. Since I'm always open to improving, criticism is welcome, as well as anybody's opinion on both my fear and this piece.

I am glad that i am notthe only one

I have this fear too and i recognise everything what you are saying. Even i can not omagine why people go whale watching. Even when they give me 1 million only to go whale watchig and touch one whale for just a second, i will never do that! Rrrr. No not even for 1 million. Once i had a nightmare about whales i couldnt sleep! I dont like them and i hope i will never see one. It is scary for me enough to see them on tv.

on Mar. 26 2015 at 10:16 am
HeraldoThompson SILVER, Sarasota, Florida

"I'd rather die while I'm livin' than live while I'm dead."

There was this amazing study at Emory University where they showed that phobias and irrational fears may be a cause of your ancestors having bad experience with that thing. They found this because they would have mice smell a cherry scent and then give them a small shock each time. The next generation of mice had an irrational fear of the the cherry scent, even though they had never been shocked. They looked deeper and found that the entire region of the brain that deals with scent had been altered in the second generation of mice. So who knows, maybe your great grandfather was Captain Ahab.

emmanew said...
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I recently realized how scary and terrifying whales are, especially blue whales. My friends typically laugh at me when I freak out when I see a whale, but the struggle is real. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one with this fear. Again, thank you so much!

Bro1991 said...
Omg I am not alone!! I am totally petrified of orca whales! I used to love free willy as a kid but could never watch the bits where it was filmed under water and they make the whale sounds totally creeps me out!!!

on Feb. 16 2015 at 10:58 am
I just looked at a picture of a whale. I can not move. Literally. Anywhere I am not looking is a place where a whale is. I can not look at pictures of whales or listen to whale noises because I am stuck to my chair in fear afterwards.

on Feb. 16 2015 at 10:51 am
My friends know that I am terrified of whales then they invite me swimming in this really murky lake and once we are in the middle they make whale noises. I have to swim as fast as I can to the dock in the middle of the lake and then I get basically frozen to it and a boat has to come get me. Luckily I can invite my boyfriend and clutch to him the entire time but I pull him down into the lake.

on Feb. 16 2015 at 10:48 am
I am terrified of whales! I shuddered just reading about them! I can't sit in high places without looking down because of the fear a whale will be below me. I can't even shower without very loud pop music playing so I get distracted.

Kdjl said...
on Feb. 12 2015 at 12:30 am
I don't know if this discussion is long over but I to fear whales, I honestly thought it was only me because I only recently started fearing them probably 4 year ago (too much discovery channel maybe.) but I'm actually kinda relieved to know I'm not the only one because I used to think I was just crazy. I had a dream about me swimming in the middle of the ocean in the dark not even moonlight visible andout of nowhere something rose from underneath me ever since that dream I was never the same.

What up? said...
Hey i am TERRIFIED of whales and my sister thinks im insane. I fear tgat they will either eat me and/or drown me. I think they are the creepest animals on the earth.

Teenbat said...
on Jan. 26 2015 at 5:07 am
I'm terrified of any type of whale, but mostly orca's and *shudder* sperm whales. I often have nightmares of swimming in the ocean, looking into the deep dark, and seeing the outline of one, or worse, having it swimming straight up towards me.

on Dec. 6 2014 at 12:39 am
Hey just the thought  of a killer whale freaks me out i couldnt even look at the picture that is showen at the beginning of this article

Sentra Sen said...
on Dec. 6 2014 at 12:37 am
I honestly have the exact same fear as you! I dont have a fear of blue whales but just the thought of a killer whale anywhere near me OMG! At school my friend did a project and u had to present it on the smartboard infront of the class and she did a killer whale as her pet and there was a huge picture and i couldnt even look at it, it was so embarrissing like honestly i cant even look at a PICTURE of a killer whale even saying the name. Please reply if u feel the same way x

ChocoCat said...
Totally agree: WHALES ARE TERRIFING. Think about it: swimming peacefully, eyeing a coral reef, and suddenly, a GIANT WHALE is coming at you, mouth open, and you can't swim away quite fast enough... and you're lost to the stomach acid of a giant scary thing. (Finding Nemo might've triggered my fear XD) And your out on a little boat, fishing, and then a whale springs out of the water, either landing and crushing your boat or breaching under your boat, flipping it over. Then, if you survive, you're helpless in the water, and then the whale either nom-noms you up or whacks you with the fin. YOUR DEAD

Gabby2 said...
YES! I watched that as a child often then all of a sudden I was so terrified of them so recently I tried getting over the fear by watching it again but I legit had a panic attack so I blame my cetaphobia on that film

natcac SILVER said...
natcac SILVER, Folsom, California

1John 4:16

My teacher recently showed a clip of Disney's Fantasia in which large whales, probably humpbacks, obtained the power to fly and rose out of the arctic waters and flew up into the sky.  Naturally I was utterly horrified and disturbed, and wouldn't even look at the screen.  My friends, of course, all watched me the entire time to see my reaction.

natcac SILVER said...
natcac SILVER, Folsom, California

1John 4:16

Personally I believe the best way to avoid a fear is to not avoid it.  Instead, confront it!  As Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."  Obviously I don't mean go swimming with a whale because I wouldn't even put myself through that torture.  Just push yourself to face your fears! 

whalessucck said...
on Sep. 29 2014 at 10:11 am
i now have a fear of a whale drownng me while swimming above me ...i dont think i would get to the top regardless i wouldnt move if i was in the water with a whale id die

gazeemyth said...
Just googled fear of whales, and I have to say, I completely agree with you in regards to reactions. Seriously, I have had a girlfriends go into states of panic when a non-venemous spider that they could easily kill by stepping on is in the same room at them bust up laughing when they find out my number one fear is whales. I have had people trying to fuck with me by sending me pictures of whales. What they don't understand is it's not looking at the whale that freaks me out, its the entire notion of getting in the water with it, of being near it in the water even, I went to seaworld and couldn't even get near the damn tank because it freaked me out bad. I don't understand why this could ever be construed as an irrational fear: they could kill you on accident, just because they are playing! 

Makmar36 said...
on Jun. 18 2014 at 12:34 am
Wow thank you to all of you out there sharing your fear of whales. I too ran out of the museum crying from the life size on the wall. Everyone laughs, they find it hysterical. Even my 5 year old laughs, she showed me a picture of a cartoon whale on her Red Lobster menu and I broke down crying in the restaurant! My teenagers find it very entertaining and this story really made me feel like other people are out there like this! I grew up scared of ocean and deep water and sharks ect ect and it wasn't until my late twenties I realized it is the whales that send me in hysterics.