Our love. | Teen Ink

Our love.

By Devyn Vondruska SILVER, Pasco, Washington
Devyn Vondruska SILVER, Pasco, Washington

August 23, 2010, I’ll never forget that day that changed my life for the better. It was a cold summer morning, a few days before the start of my sophomore year and his junior year started. Ruben wanted to be sweet and he walked me to school for the first day of volleyball try-outs, it was the first time he walked me. When we arrived at school at the front of the office doors he pulled out a cherry ring pop out of his pocket and asked me, “Will you be my girlfriend?”
“Yes!” and since that day we’ve had our good times and our struggles, but we’ve made it through everything.

Now, Ruben has graduated and joined the Army. He has been gone a couple months, and for 2 months we weren’t not allow to talk unless the soldiers got a few minutes to call home. Both of us making the sacrifices of him joining the Army and being gone has made me realize what I have when I’m with him and what he has being with me. We are so lucky to have each other. Having to say goodbye to him was the hardest thing I’ve had to do. Ruben’s absence gone makes me feel like a part of me is gone. But, I am proud to be an Army girlfriend.
Being in high school it’s tough to find that, “true relationship” now-a- days. I feel like one in a thousand that I found the one I’m meant to be with and that, “comfortable relationship” in high school. People think that it’s stupid when someone in high school says that they are in love, because we aren’t adults yet, and we don’t know what we are talking about. I couldn’t hide my feelings inside whether the age is 17 or 37. When it comes to love, I don’t think anyone should judge anyone elses relationship, because every relationship is different.
We’ve been together almost two and a half years now. High school relationships don’t last as long as mine has, but I’ve proven that our relationship is more than a high school fling. We have been together almost 2 and a half years, never have broken up, nor been unfaithful, proving that we have a matured relationship.
We’ve matured and learned a lot over the past years together. We’ve gone through arguments about our attitudes, and petty things that could have torn us apart. Our relationship can prove to anyone that true love can be found in high school, even if it’s not common. Love & that, “comfortable relationship” is something that can be hard to find, but when found it should be cherished not downgraded.