Freed Slave | Teen Ink

Freed Slave

By laavvviiii13 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
laavvviiii13 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

"Today is someone's memory for tomorrow. Make it good."

Roughly three weeks ago, I went to the San Antonio Museum of Art in order to find my long lost life. Even though I wasn't able to find it- what I found was just as precious. The Museum had an Aphrodite exhibit, which I thought would be my final destination. But in a turn of events, I decided to make that exhibit my starting line. I strolled through most of the exhibit when finally my feet felt as if they were buried into the ground. I saw a crystal, a crystal with a mark, a mark of a dove, a dove that was free, free like my spirit- or so I thought.

The clear crystal of oval shape was roughly one inch long and one inch thick. The Museum simply called it “Dove in a gem”, and they described this “gem” as “a rock crystal with a dove engraved in it.” Engraved in the middle of the rock, the dove took my breath away at first sight- almost like the concept of “love at first sight,” only I fell in love with a rock.

The dove had spread its wings, as if freely flying but precipitously pulled and plunged into the rock. The dove, might have tried to fly again- unaware that it had been captured, not in a cage but rather a rock. The crystal- clear like the air, set up the boundary lines for the enslaved dove.

The dove now looked like it was searching for freedom- ready to fly again. I thought the dove would fly out of the rock while I simply stared at its grace. As if an eon later- I realized why I couldn’t pull away from this inanimate, lifeless, morose dove. The dove reminded me of a long lost twin- a carbon copy of my life. I once heard my grandma say “Somewhere in this world, there is a person that looks a lot like you!” While standing five inches away from the dove- I felt as if I found the sister I never had. Just seeing it engraved, lunged into the rock epitomized how I have many invisible restraints, numerous strings that keep my feet on the ground. But the dove’s wings stood out- they pointed towards the heavens- ready to fly. I saw strength, will, and determination in those wings. This reminded me of my hopes and dreams, which people say are too large for my small eyes. They say that when I wake up- I will find myself alone, inert, and practically shattered.

But one aspect of the gem that I didn’t realize until I almost left was the rock itself. The crystal clear rock changed my perspective in its entirety. I no longer saw a restrained, forlorn, desolate dove- but rather one with power, aptitude, and freedom. I thought that since the rock was limpid- the dove’s dreams were lucid. So no longer oblivious I found my own dreams, lining up right next to me.
In this dove I saw my hope, my love, and my dreams- all those trivial things that I had misplaced earlier. I came on a mission to find my life but instead I found my twin, my abilities, and most importantly the bittersweet reality. Yes- life can appoint some difficulties, but as John Barrymore once said “Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open.”

We went to the museum on a field trip and out of all the statues and sculptures there- I fell in love with a rock... I was inspired and I hope you are too!