This Has To Be A Dream

July 24, 2012 3:14 a.m. I’m thinking nothing of it when I hear sirens outside my window just after a storm had pass. Eventually I fall back asleep to the sound of the second round of storms, not caring about the outside world. I wake up around 10:30 and start my day how I normally do. To me, it’s just another day, but in reality it’s a nightmare I had wish to never come across. One hour later I receive a text “Have you heard?” I respond saying no, at this moment thoughts are racing through my head. I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to hear.

“Kody and Tj got in a crash and died.” You’ve got to be kidding, I reply asking if this was some kind of sick joke. And sure enough Facebook has the answer. No, it isn’t. It didn’t take long until tears start to pour out of my eyes. How can it be? Why them? I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to hear.

I asked how did it happen. When did it happen. “Kody and Tj were taking Ian home this morning and they lost control and crashed into a pole. Ian is alive but in the hospital, he’s brain dead.” I put the pieces together. The storm this morning. The sirens. What happened at 3:14 a.m. is I lost two of my closest friends. Once again, I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to hear.

As if things can’t get any worse, three days later on July 27, 2012 I lose not only a friend but a big brother. Ian, being in my life since second grade is taken out of my life and so many others. All the damage is done and there’s nothing no one can do to change what has happened. But the outcome of the crash personally affected the way I look at life. Not only that but bringing many of the ones I love closer together. Being so young I take life seriously and cautious. All this time I was prepared for I have heard.