Divorce | Teen Ink

Divorce

December 3, 2012
By Devyn Vondruska SILVER, Pasco, Washington
Devyn Vondruska SILVER, Pasco, Washington
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you believe everything happens for a reason? I do. I’m slowly learning the true story behind why my parents got divorced. It has been a long two years in my family. The constant yelling and arguing every time my parents were together was tiring. I had known one day they would finally break, but it still was shocking when they had told me. When I was young I thought that my parents would be together forever. Most of my friends, when I was little, their parents were getting divorced. Mine were the only ones that had still been together. I had seen that divorce breaks families a part, no matter how old the family. I had heard and seen how the divorce of my boyfriend’s parents at a young age of 8 had broken their family, and seen all the problems that it caused.
As got older I learned more about relationships because I have been in a relationship for over two years. I understand why my parents got a divorce they could only take so much negativity. But in my case, there was a deeper story behind it all, besides the arguing, there were bigger problems. They say money can’t buy happiness, but it sure buys stress and debt. Learning the reason why my dad worked all the time when my sister and I were little shocked me. My mom spent more money then she should have, which made things difficult for my dad. Even though I have my parents, I still don’t know the true them.
I wish I could say that everything is perfect now after the divorce, that my parents get along great and my sister and I see both of them regularly. It’s not that simple. I continue to live in my new house with my father and sister. My Mom didn’t want much to change for us, because she didn’t want the divorce to affect our lives. She moved out and got her own apartment. Her anger over the divorce is still there, the constant complaining about my Dad and negativity has driven my sister and me away. We don’t seem to get along very much.
Life after a divorce is messy. My parents love both my sister and me a lot, even though they no longer love each other. I can say that with each year that passes we try to work through more issues; even if we can’t get along. I’ve learned a lot over this experience and that is that I don’t want to get a divorce. I want to work through problems before they are unfixable like my parent’s marriage.