The Champion | Teen Ink

The Champion

By Andrew Crone BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
Andrew Crone BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

They dim the lights. The national anthem plays. I’ve never been this nervous. Looking around and seeing thousands of people only adds to my nerves. The anthem ends and the lights come back on.
I plug in my iPod and the music slowly turns my nerves into confidence. No one has worked as hard as me. No one has made the sacrifices I have. No one wants it as bad as I do. All for one match. One match will prove who is the best.
The massive scoreboard shows our records. He’s 49-0. But I’m determined to make that 0 a 1. My coach adds to my confidence: “Leave everything out on the mat. This is what we’ve worked for, now go out there, and take what you deserve.”
It’s time. I meet my opponent in the center of the mat. We shake hands. The whistle blows. I remember only bits and pieces as my training takes over – six minutes of lead changes as two people fight to be the best. But there is one memory that will never leave me. That feeling. That overwhelming rush of relief and happiness I get the second the whistle blows, and the match is over. Looking to my family and friends in the crowd. Everyone who has helped me reach this point. They are the only ones who truly know what I’ve gone through to get here. Pointing to them as the ref raises my hand. Yes! I’ve done it. There is no longer a 0 on his record, and that 1 will remain forever. I walk of the mat a champion.