My Wish | Teen Ink

My Wish

By Samm.Writes BRONZE, Spring, Texas
Samm.Writes BRONZE, Spring, Texas

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

That day was the first time I saw my grandfather cry.

My grandmother had been in the hospital for 5 months straight, none of the doctors knew what was wrong with her and why she was there for so long. 3 different hospitals, multiple doctors and nobody knew anything. All I wanted was for my grandmother to come home and get out of the depressing hospital.

I walked downstairs to join my family for dinner, my mom had just been crying and everyone else was silent. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Granny is going to lose her right arm" My mom said as she stood behind the kitchen counter. I can't imagine what my grandmother was going through. If everyone else was crying I can't imagine how she is holding up in a hospital bed all alone.

After the surgery when I went to visit my grandmother in the hospital she kept the rest of her arm underneath a blanket. I knew she wasn't doing well because occasionally I would catch her looking down at growing more sad each time.

1 week has passed my grandmother came home a couple days before Thanksgiving which fell on the same day as her birthday this year. Everyone was still emotional, but this time it was happy tears. She was home at last, she may have one last arm then she did before, but she was home and living. Thanksgiving was a great day, I said grace and everyone cried, but she was home and my only wish came true.