Harley | Teen Ink

Harley

By Meggieisawesome SILVER, Central Point, Oregon
Meggieisawesome SILVER, Central Point, Oregon

Darleks are red
Tardis is blue
Why can't you see that I LOVE YOU..... Almost as much as DOCTOR WHO????

I had a pig named Harley. He was an all white pig. His name was Harley because I love Harley motorcycles and I needed a name for my pig to enter the fair. Harley was an odd pig. He did what ever he wanted to do; such as laying down when you needed to walk him, running around grunting (the grunting sounded like a dog barking), and he also dug holes to sleep in. Harley was my project for 4h. Harley never wanted to do his exercises. He would lie down in the dirt so you couldn’t move him. My job was to get the 280 pound pig off the ground. My parents weren’t allowed to help or I would’ve gotten disqualified. Harley wasn’t that bad to care for, he was also fun to raise. I found easier ways to exercise him. I would run to one side of his pen with his toy and he would chase me. Another thing I would do to make it easier to raise him was to spray him with the watering hose. He really liked water so it was easy to bathe him as long as you didn’t put shampoo on him.

I was really nervous about the fair because of Harley being so ignorant. It was a challenge to put him in his pen at fair, and even more of a challenge to bathe him. When ever he was in the pen kids would come by and feed him candy, I didn’t mind because I might as well let Harley eat whatever he wanted because he didn’t get to be alive much longer, he would be shipped off to a store for pork. Some of the store owners came by my pen because I was always sitting in it with Harley.
One of the store owners said, “What was your favorite part about raising your pig?”
I answered by saying, “His personality and how his grunts almost sound like barking, I also like how he was so happy to see me when I checked on him after school.”

I got to the ring and I said to myself, “This is going to be my worst experience ever.” It was my turn. I stepped out in front of the large crowd and tried my best to not look stupid. Harley surprised me. He was acting perfect; he was acting like he knew what to do. Everything was going well. Then all the candy the kids gave him while he was in his pen kicked in, and Harley had the worst case of diarrhea ever and he got it all over my new show pants. I walked back to his pen like nothing happened, and waited for my results.