Never Seen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What is a memory? What is love? For most, a memory is defined as something you retain or remember. A memory can be of a person, place, story, many things. As for love, it is defined as fondness or affection for something. Like a memory, love can be for many things. In many cases, memories are of a person, and love is as well. The love for parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings is likely the strongest love you will ever find. Your siblings are the ones you grow up with and love unconditionally. However, sometimes love can be confusing. For many, a sister is a best friend or maybe a role model. For some, a sister may be the person you always fight with or the one you tell everything to. My sister is none of that.

My sister’s name is Katie. She is seven years old. To me, she has always been and will be that age. At seven, she passed away from a brain tumor. She died before I was born. I never knew what she was like. All I have of her are other people’s memories. I’ve been told she was strong, even though she her short life was difficult. In pictures she’s always smiling, even in the hospital.

Katie was happy, upbeat, friendly, and spirited. My mom says she was exactly like me at seven. It may sound strange, but I love Katie more than anything.

I know hardly anything about my sister, but I miss her and think about her a lot. Even though all I have are stories and pictures, I feel a strong connection to her. I wonder if it’s normal to love somebody you don’t know. Is it possible to miss someone you never met? And is it possible for that person to love you back?

There really is no way to define love. Love is unique for every person and situation. For me, love is the undeniable connection I feel to someone. No matter what, this person is special, as my sister is to me.