Becoming A Teen | Teen Ink

Becoming A Teen

By Lessie Villalba BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Lessie Villalba BRONZE, Auburn, New York

In life you will grow old before you grow young again. When being a girl you have to go through different stages in life. One of the stages is becoming a teenager and being a girl at that. Girls have to go through hormones, mood swings, and certain parts of our bodies begin to start developing.

You always hear about some of the things your going to have to go through when you’re a girl and becoming a teen. You never know how it actually feels until you experience it yourself. On my twelfth birthday I started to feel a little weird. This weird feeling was because I was going through the part in a girl’s life were they become a teen. When girls get their period that’s when all the changes start to happen. I got my period I felt a little uncomfortable at first. I didn’t want to tell anyone about the problem I was having, I was kind of embarrassed with it at first. Along with the period, parts of your body start to develop. When that starts to happen you notice that you can no longer wear the same things that you used to. You see that your favorite shirt you used to always wear can’t even fit you anymore. Then you start to learn girls go through these types of things. I learned that it’s all a part of growing up, and that you don’t always stay the same forever.

When you become a teen you kind of get that sense that you’re getting older, because you start wanting to do things the way you want to, just like I did. I never wanted anyone to tell me what I to do anymore; I wanted to make my own decisions. This started to develop arguments and fights with my mom, and I had become rebellious against her. This was all part of me changing and becoming a teenager. I wanted to be independent and do my own thing. I felt that I didn’t need anyone to get me through life or help me get through it. I knew how to cook, clean, and do mostly everything, but in all reality I really didn’t. So I had felt that I don’t need anyone to do anything for me, that I can do it all for myself.

This all changed me, made me a better person. I learned that even though I feel as if I can be on my own, I still needed a little guidance to help me get through. Even though I became a teenager and I could do some of the things I wanted to do, I couldn’t do everything on my own. When you go through different changes and experiences, it only makes you a better person at the end. Without all the fights I went through with my family, I would have never really known how to come to a situation the right way. With me going through all the female things I would have never known that we really don’t stay the same our whole lives. It was all part of growing up, and learning.

I hope teen girls learn that its not them who go through these things, every girl in the world does. So there is nothing to be embarrested about.