Big Sister | Teen Ink

Big Sister

By Sarah Dann BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Sarah Dann BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Being a big sister has its ups and downs. Although being a role model is a great honor, sometimes we forget who is watching. I am a big sister to a set of twins. I love them but sometimes they make me crazy. From my experience as a big sister, I’ve learned that you can’t be careless about your lifestyle.

Brenna and Brody are fraternal twins, born on January 3rd, 2008. They are 4 years old and have amazing personalities. Brody is a Spiderman loving, hockey player who is one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. Brenna on the other hand, is a very feisty princess. They both love to explore and try new things all of the time. While they are exploring, I’m observing. They also love to celebrate holidays with my family. Holidays are they’re favorite time of the year because they like to dress up and eat amazing food. I love being with and around them to teach them new things and help them explore, also for them to teach me. Helping them and spending time with them is one of my all time favorite activities. But I’m not alone! My mom is a very good mom because she is always doing her best to help us and be around as best as she can. As you can tell, I spend a huge amount of time with my siblings.

I, as their only sibling in the house, have a big responsibility to set a good example for my siblings. Even when I don’t know it, they watch and listen to everything I say and do. My mom always tells me to never act up around the house because she knows that they are learning and developing new habits. I rarely argue with my mom when the kids are around because I don’t want them to grow up and be troublemakers. I’ve learned so much about acting my age and setting a good example in the past 4 years. Being a big sister has impacted my life in a million different ways. One way is that I cannot be careless about how I act. Being a teenager with siblings can get tough at times because you just want to have fun and live your life but you know that you cannot always get what you want. Another way is that I’ve given up a lot of my time voluntarily to babysit them. Babysitting, for me, is one of my favorite activities because I love to watch children grow, learn, and explore new and different things. Being around my siblings and my mom’s friends children all the time made me grow into a big love for children and learning about early education and development. With that being said, without my family I have no clue where I would be.

In conclusion, I believe that no matter what life throws at you, you must always persevere and get through it. My family means the world to me and have taught me so many valuable lessons that I will use my whole entire life. From my experience as a big sister, I’ve learned that you can’t be careless about your lifestyle.