Life Goes On | Teen Ink

Life Goes On

By Chocolatee BRONZE, Arcadia, California
Chocolatee BRONZE, Arcadia, California

Life has its ups and downs. Its highs and lows. Sure, those who are extremely wealthy can buy anything they need in the world without having to worry about not being able to afford essential items, but they themselves struggled to reach that point in time where they actually became successful. Success isn’t the key to everything, but it sure will get you somewhere you desire. Sometimes you just have to take risks in life to be rewarded with good.

I used to attend a private school, St. Gregory Hovsepian, from preschool to first grade. I hated just passing it by. I wasn’t the most loved there. Especially this eerie, ambiguous love I felt between a classmate - if it was love at all. I’m sure she despised me. For what reason, I don’t know. Every day during lunch, I would play with my usual group of friends, waiting for her to barge in at any given moment and dismiss me of my game. She would replace me with herself instead. I would go crying to a teacher, tugging on their shirts, whining about what I had caught sight of. It was like this roughly every day.

The teachers usually ignored what I had to say. I was just a kid, they didn’t care. I don’t recall telling my parents of such things, but my mom caught on with what I was going through and when she did, she didn’t stand there and not do anything about it. She was good friends with all the teachers I had there, including the teacher I had during this struggle. My mother took action and had a talk with this teacher yet nothing had changed. Nothing. I did love going to school, although I’d cry every morning, but it was something I had to get used to. On the last day of first grade, the girl was passing out bracelets, and, of course, she had to give me a broken one. I still have it to this day.

The time had come when I was going to transfer schools, but not to another private school, a public school – something that stood as an unknown to me. Something I was unfamiliar with. As much as I wanted to take my leave and get as far as possible from that girl, I had a voice in my head reminding me about my friends. When was I going to see them again? On the other hand, I kept ranting on about lockers. “Dad, would there be lockers there?” I would continuously ask. I was terrified at the thought of having a locker because in my head, lockers were meant for the big kids.

The day had come when summer had ended and schools were beginning. I was struck with horror on the first day due to the fact that I had no idea where I was going. The school’s name was Holly Avenue Elementary School. To me it was a diverse world, almost like a maze. I was dwelling here and there looking for my classroom with my parents. At last, we found it and had a warm welcome. Everyone had smiles from cheek to cheek. It was as if I was an exotic animal. Had they not had a new student before?

Along with the warm welcome, I made several admirable friends. Despite that I no longer see those whom were once the closest to me nor do I talk to them, I keep in mind all those memories which I will cherish for the rest of my life. Life itself is a journey. Throughout this journey, there will be a series of events that may or may not change your perspective on life or who you are. “In three words, I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.”