I Believe I was a Bird Once | Teen Ink

I Believe I was a Bird Once

By Alexa Lyons BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Alexa Lyons BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois

As children we are all asked this question, if you could have any super power what would it be? Of course we all hear the typical “super strength”, “invisibility”, and the ever popular “the ability to fly”. Unfortunately I was one of the many boring, regulars who wanted to fly. I lacked the ability to imagine anything more astounding than the power of flight. I was okay with that because to me the sky was like a second home, I truly believe I was a bird once. How many people do you know that can actually say they feel at home among the clouds in the bright blue sky? Not many I assure you.

When I was little my mother would send me on my way to visit family in Texas. I felt all high and mighty taking a plane to Texas with no supervision, even though I was under close watch of a stewardess. I paid no attention to her; I was far too preoccupied starring out the window daydreaming about the cool breezy wind in my hair.

My father lives out in Texas, “Texas born, Texas bred, and soon enough I’ll be Texas dead” he always held a strong sense of pride while saying it. I’ve always loved Texas and considered it a home away from home, until I flew in my first airplane. Roaring engines completely contradict the serene views of the clouds and sky, but feel comforting none the less. Most are terrified of heights and planes, but not me.

I was born and raised in the Windy City of Chicago, and yet I’ve never gotten used to the harsh winters it brings. I envy the migrating birds every fall as they disappear towards paradise. How are they so lucky that they get to just fly away as they please? The Wright brothers knew that birds shouldn’t be the only ones to have that luxury and for that I am grateful. They must have known this was bound to happen to me.

Soaring, as the birds do, should be a gift given to those who want it the most. If it were up to me I would stay in that plane and travel somewhere far, far away. I get the feeling of home even when I’m miles away from it. I was meant to be in the sky and see the world from a bird’s eye view.

I had the most amazing opportunity to fly my first plane and I’ve never experienced such nirvana. I felt detached from the world and simply free, it was liberating. In the air I have no troubles or doubts, I have nothing but joy. I suppose I really am my father’s daughter because he felt the same when he was my age. There is nothing else like flying, it’s much easier to clear your mind and see what is ahead of you. It’s comforting to see nothing but clear skies to guide you.

Although I’m not able to sing as birds do when they feel joy, because well I’m not the greatest of singers, I still believe I was a bird once. I have somehow been blessed with the free spirit of one and now I’m trapped inside this wingless body. Worry not for my friends the Wright brothers knew this was to happen and invented the next best thing for me, the airplane.

To most I might be a joke. Call me crazy all you want, but I was a bird once.

I'm currently waiting an acceptance letter from SIUC, where I plan on being a part of the aviation program. Wish me luck!