The One You Love | Teen Ink

The One You Love

By EmileeGrillo BRONZE, Auburn, New York
EmileeGrillo BRONZE, Auburn, New York

It’s as if god takes away the ones that mean the most to you, just to see how life would be with out them.
On April 11th, 2012 was probably the worst day of my life. It was Friday and I was in lunch. I had seen one of the ladies from the main office down in the cafeteria looking for somebody. I didn’t pay attention to her because I didn’t think she was coming over to me but, I was wrong. She walked over to me and told me that I had a family emergency and that I needed to get my things and hurry to the nurses’ office. As soon as she said that I grabbed my books and went scurrying up the stairs. There were so many things going through my mind, I obviously wasn’t sick, I didn’t have a doctors appointment and I was trying to figure out who in my family might have been hurt.

I signed out at the main office and then went out the doors, seeing my Aunt pulled up in her truck looking distressed. As I got in the truck she told me that she needed me to go to her house and help my Uncle Tom with the daycare. Now I know something is wrong, because my Aunt would not be having me go to her house and help watch the daycare kids unless something was really wrong. I asked her what was wrong and she said “ Nana is in the hospital.” My heart immediately sank. I freaked out I didn’t know whether to play it off as if it didn’t effect me but, that’s a lot harder to do than people think. She dropped me off at her house and said she was going up to the hospital. When I got inside I went to my Uncle and ask what happened ?? He told me that when nana was pulling out of the driveway she had dropped her cigarette, but had ended up hitting a tree that was about ten feet behind her car. He said he ran outside the house and asked her if she was okay. And she said that she was fine but didn’t know what happened or what was going on. My Uncle tried telling her that he would drive her home but, my grandma is the type of person who is a very independent so having him drive her home was out of the question. She said she was fine and that she would drive herself home. My uncle ran inside grabbed his keys and by the time he was near his car she was gone. He sped down the road and seen a car in the middle of the road side ways… It was her.

Two days later I went up to Syracuse hospital and seen my nana in a hospital bed, with tubes everywhere and machines beeping on and off. I walked into the room after all my family because I knew that I was going to cry the minute I saw her. I got in the room and sat down in front of her bed with tears welling up in my eyes. I didn’t know what to say. My mom and dad gave her hugs and same with my sister until the doctor came in the room. The doctor said that they had found masses in her brain that caused the black out when she hit the tree, he also said that she had a mass the size of his fist in her left lung. We all sat there and she told the doctor that she did not want to do chemotherapy. The doctor told her that she wasn’t going to have long to live, and at the most she may have a month or two.

My family said that they were going to go to the cafeteria and get some lunch which left m and my nana alone. Being alone with my nana was probably the most heart renching thing I have ever gone through. We sat there for quite some time until I finally said “Your rosary Aunt Lisa got you is very pretty”. She just sat there and grabbed my hand and I could see looking into her eyes that she was scared. I told her that everything was going to be okay and that we were going to go home in a few days, I knew in the back of my mind that she wasn’t going to be okay and that she wasn’t going to be able to go home. Knowing that your sitting with the one person you love as much as you own mom, and knowing that you cant do a single thing about the situation is a horrible feeling. You feel almost guilty. We just sat there and we talked about how I promised her that I was going to pass the 9th grade for her and that she had played the lottery and that she was hoping that she was going to win. Then my family came back and I had to leave because my nana was getting tired and she wanted to get some sleep so I promised her I would come back up tomorrow and see her.

Tomorrow never came. At 3 o’clock in the morning my mom and dad got a call from the hospital saying that nana was in cardiac arrest and that my dad needs to get up there as fast as he can. All the while I had no clue this was happening until I woke up and my mom and dad told me that we weren’t going to be going up to the hospital today. Nana passed away. My dad told me with the most peculiar look on his face that he was the one that had to take my nana off life support. I had all I could do to keep my self from not loosing it right then and there.

I miss my nana a lot and I wish I could have one more day with her because I never got a chance to tell her goodbye and give her one more last hug. I’ve learned that you need to love your family and spend as much time with them as you can because you ever know when something and might happen to them.

My piece is about losing a loved one and having to deal with not being able to say goodbye.