Starsky and Butz | Teen Ink

Starsky and Butz

By Brett_Butz BRONZE, Yorktown, Virginia
Brett_Butz BRONZE, Yorktown, Virginia

"Only the Best can critic the Average"

As I stare down what might seem to be the longest road in width that I’ve had to cross in my short sixteen years of life. To some, this road is equivalent to Everest without the negative degree temperatures. I am about to cross it, but then I stop, my body hasn’t acceded whether or not the decision to take the chance is right. Right when I finishing deciding what to do, another wave of cars is coming my direction, so I take a step back just to be cautious. Another wave of cars pass, I don’t understand why I haven’t crossed this wretched road yet. I’ve done this take many times, but there was something about this time, as if I knew something bad is soon to come, on the other hand, maybe I’m just overthinking this situation.

All the cars are waiting impatiently for the light to turn green, having their left foot on the break and their right resting over the gas. I see the light is red as I look up at it, this could be my chance to cross; I go, I’m halfway across the road, with my luck, the beautiful green light that makes everybody smile with joy, to me it becomes a death color. The car I’m in front of accelerates very quickly, not noticing there’s a live human in front of her, not wanting to be deceased, but wanting to arrive to the other side just as the chicken does. I know that I need to think fast and do something or else I will be road kill just like all the other squirrels, possums, rabbits, and raccoons that have tried to the cross the road. So with quick reactions, I jump, putting my left hand on the hood of the car like in the Starsky and Hutch movie without using my whole body to slide over the car.

All of this is happening in slow motion, even though they say your whole life passes by you before you die, that didn’t happen with me because in this day, I will not die! I jump across the car, and it keeps driving, the driver wasn’t sure what just happened, otherwise they probably would of stopped and looked back to see if I got hurt. After that, I finished crossing the road, went to the local grocery store and bought some candy to feed my addiction mixed with adrenaline rush from what just occurred.

This really happened and is a story I will never forget.