Suffering This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Nervously, I approach the back of the recliner. I can see a familiar head resting on it, but this head is practically bald. There are only patches of hair, and that hair is gray. Walking closer, I can see a hand. There are dark spots, and the skin is tight around the veins, making them stick out. His arms and chest are the same, but over his heart are plastic tubes that lead to a bag I never dare look in. His legs are as thin as his arms. I try to look into his eyes, but he can't keep his lids open. His breathing is ragged, his chest rising and falling in unnatural, slow breaths.

I reach out and touch his hand. It feels fragile, like glass that the slightest touch could break. I feel something wet on my cheek and realize I am crying.

If you had shown me this man one year ago, I would have recoiled in horror. But now I'm fighting for his life, because this man is my father.

Rainbowdash_chick said...
Feb. 6 at 6:39 pm:
Im so sorry. I hope you get to feeling better

TrixLovegoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It is really good. I wish you the best! :) Btw you made me cry!

lost_girl said...
Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:23 am:
Readin this i realized that you just described my exact situation with my dad...he had cancer and just recently lost his battle but it was cought late and it was stage 3. If you ever need to talk to somebody I am definitly willing to talk. It could do good for both me and you. (:

Blackrose5683 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm :
Thanks :) Unfortunately though, my dad passed away from cancer too. He had leukemia.

Bugg2 said...
Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:11 am:
I'm sorry to hear that. i hope everything goes fine. 

narusaku101 said...
Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:52 am:
wow never thought that it would me your father. I  almost cried this is so touching and im in the middle of my creative writing class. loved this :3

Ride4LifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very touching, and well written.