Favorite Mistake

By , Littleton, CO
My favorite mistake is dating my first girlfriend of high school. All was well until we began to break apart. Everything that she said irked me and made me want to run away. From everything. Her very presence annoyed me. So the dreaded day came when I had to break off our eighteen month love-fest. Fighting ensued and thus the saying, "You were a mistake!" slipped out of both of our mouths. She was a mistake, right? I could have been single and experiencing the first half of high school alone, doing whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. But I made the mistake of giving my heart to a girl I barely knew. I really loved it though, connecting to someone like never before. I learned more about myself during that eighteen month stint than I ever have. I learned my real emotions, what I wanted from life. Sure, I said it was a mistake to "waste my time" with her, but it was the best experience of my life. I knew I deserved better but I didn't want better, I wanted her. By discovering this I was able to realize maybe it was a mistake to choose her, but it was the best mistake I've ever made.