Growing up isn't so easy | Teen Ink

Growing up isn't so easy

By bumbleboo BRONZE, Acton, Maine
bumbleboo BRONZE, Acton, Maine

"You are the air in my lungs;
& the blood in my veins;
I love you Molly Jane."

When I was young all I ever wanted to do was grow up. I didn't want to have to go to school anymore, I wanted to stay up late, eat whatever I wanted, drive a car, have a job, and be treated like an adult. I hated being a kid; everyone treated me like I was a baby and bossed me around. It wasn't so easy being young. But time flies, suddenly I was in high school and all I wanted was to be young again. Stress was a new thing in my life and quite the burden already. One day, I met a boy and I fell in love. As all teens know, love is one of the perks of growing up. I loved this boy with all my heart, I gave everything to him. But in the end unfortunately it didn't last. Two months later; I was about to turn 15, and I found out something that would change my life. I was pregnant. How could I be a parent? What was I supposed to do? I was at a total loss for words when I saw that little pink plus sign appear before my eyes. Finally, after 4 pregnancy tests, I got the point. I did the right thing and immediately told my mother. She said I was too young to be a mother and she was making me an appointment for the clinic for the next day. Suddenly something took over me; well I should say someone. I told my mom I wasn't going to give up the baby for adoption and my mind was made. When I got home that night I decided to go over and tell my grandparents the news and the rest of the family. Everyone had the fake smile on and pretended to be happy for me. They knew I couldn't do it. But I was about to prove them wrong. When I found out I was pregnant, I quit the drugs I was on and decided it's time to grow up. I carried on going to school, not saying a word about the news, I just wanted to be left alone. But when everyone did find out the news from the obvious belly; I was constantly made fun of and being called awful names. I decided school wasn't for me. I was staying at home, being patient with one month to go. It was valentine's day and I was alone.Still no word from the father of my baby. I was so scared for when the baby came.How was I supposed to be a mom all by myself at 15? My childhood was gone, it had ended far too quickly. But I was happy I was going to have someone with me for the rest of my life. I said calmly to myself and my belly; " I can do this, I will prove everyone wrong. I love you baby and I swear giving up everything for you is worth it, and i know it always will be. I swear I am going to give you a perfect childhood and remind you I love you and how much I care everyday." The kick in my stomach that came after me saying that made me feel so proud. That night, as I was getting out of the bathtub, I realized something wasn't right. I was in labor. The next day, at age 15, my first child had been born. She was a beautiful baby girl named Molly Jane. She was instantly my angel, and I was so happy. Here I am now 17 years old and a single mom, my daughter still has nothing to do with her father who refuses to grow up, and my daughter is 17 months old. She's perfect, too smart for her own good, and a sweetheart. I have my GED, license, a car, and i start college in the fall. Things have been rough, and sometimes just plain stressful, but they're looking up. I wouldn't give up my daughter for anything in the world. She's lucky to be alive, considering she came 31 days early, but she's my little miracle. Being a mom at a young age has its ups and downs but in the end it's 100% worth it.

Just another teen pregnancy story.