It's Easy

July 9, 2012
By hannaenchiladas PLATINUM, Hudsonville, Michigan
hannaenchiladas PLATINUM, Hudsonville, Michigan
37 articles 8 photos 2 comments

My mom slammed on the brakes, hoping she did not hit the biker. It all happened so quickly, he rode right into the road and we did not see him until it was too late. Slamming the door shut, I walked to the front of the car. The sun was beginning to rise and the air was cool. The boys’ bike was sprawled in the middle of the road, or I figured it was his bike, I could not tell. The boy was lying on the ground, blood rushing out of his head. My stomach churned, making me feel sick. My mom pulled out her cellphone and called for an ambulance, hoping the boy would survive until then. Remembering we had a blanket in my car, I ran and got it. My mom tied it around the boys’ head to soak up the blood. In silence, we sat with the boy, waiting for the ambulance. When the ambulance arrived, they brought out the stretcher and asked my mom what happened, she told them everything. They asked me if the boy was wearing a helmet, I told them that he was not. What if he had a helmet on? Would he be okay? Would his head be bleeding? Before I knew it, the ambulance had taken off and we were left alone in the road. I got back in the car and my mom drove me to school. The whole ride there, I was wondering if the boy would be okay.

In the summer, the roads are full of bikers. Teens riding to the ice cream shop on the corner or riding to the grocery store to get some milk for dinner. Little kids riding around the cul-de-sac, racing. Even adults ride around for the exercise. They all have something in common: most of them do not wear a helmet.

The importance of wearing a helmet is to protect your brain in an accident. Injuries in bike accidents can be life-threatening. Only 35% of all bikers wear a helmet regularly, for every trip or ride they take. The other 65% only wear them if they have to or choose not to wear one at all.

Many people do not wear a helmet because wearing a helmet is “not cool”. Of course helmets are not the coolest thing out there but they are one of the smartest ways to keep you safe. These days, helmets have various colors and designs to choose from. You can even design your own online and have it shipped to you so it is original.

Most teens think they are too good of a rider to have to wear a helmet. The truth is, no matter if your the best rider or the worst, you should wear a helmet. An accident can occur whenever, wherever. Your best bet is to wear a helmet every time you ride just in case something like that happens.

Not wearing a helmet is like a target or sign that shows you do not care about what happens to your brain or head. If everyone wears a helmet the death rate for bike accidents will go down. If everyone wears a helmet it will have a good influence for the next generation. If everyone wears a helmet it will be “cool”. What are you waiting for? Go get your own helmet today!

The author's comments:
I wrote this in 8th grade, I was in advanced English, so technically it's a 9th grade paper. Just wanted to spread the word on wearing a helmet, especially since MI just made a law that motorcyclists don't HAVE to wear one.

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.

Parkland Book