Can I please study to learn? | Teen Ink

Can I please study to learn?

By Chanchie GOLD, Trivandrum, Other
Chanchie GOLD, Trivandrum, Other

A writer who writes without zest, without gusto, without fun, without love is only half a writer.
-Ray Bradbury

Yesterday I visited my school to figure out what subjects to take next year. To my undisguised horror, both history and economics, previously offered subjects were no longer available. I have to do 6 subjects, and two I really need are not there. Great. "What to I do now?" I asked my counsellor. "Why don't you take chemistry? It's easy and the kids seem to like it..." was the answer.

Excuse me? Did you just tell me to take chemistry because it's easy? Slow down. When did this start happening?? I didn't know that I was eligible to take a subject because it's easy! Oh, why don't I just take English because it's easy! Seriously, what is the world coming to! I came back home and talked this out with my friends, and they told me this was a similar case in their colleges too. Students being encouraged to take easy subjects so that their marks are great. Because at the end of the day marks are what matter. In this respect, my counsellor was only trying to help.

Should it really be like this? I get terrible marks in physics, but I'm just as interested in the Higgs boson particle as the girl doing research on nanoparticles. But hey, no marks=you don't know anything in that subject!

I find the education system terrible! I keep thinking about dropping out of school (Bill Gates and Sachin Tendulkar being my role models to do so). But then two things stopped me from thinking this way. One was my mom and my best friend telling me, "Sachin plays cricket, Gates built a multimillion empire. What can you do?' Right now, I have no clue. So that's one option out. The other is something my mom always says. I'm a big fan of Sir Ken Robinson and his ideas. Using this great example my mom tells me, "The only reason people listen to him is because he's been through the system, and he knows what he's talking about."

So there! I have to go through "education". But then it's up to me to make the change. I know that I want to inspire people to stop treating subjects as just a means to get marks. And I'm going to do something about it. Right now, I'm going to study. However there is only so much I can do alone. The only way to get this moving is if everyone I know, tells everyone they know. Start thinking about it people, because change is inevitable. But, we can be the ones bringing about that change.