Welcome To McDonald's! | Teen Ink

Welcome To McDonald's!

By Kenziemcm13 PLATINUM, Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kenziemcm13 PLATINUM, Rutherfordton, North Carolina

A simple story can tell an entire story!~~ ME
Pictures tell a 1000 words~IDK :P

It is consider the worlds number one selling fast food chain. They manage to serve over 47 billion customers a day, in 118 different countries. And is most commonly recognized for their great golden arches followed by the well known red-headed clown Ronald McDonald.

Yes, I am talking about McDonald's the "restaurant for opportunity's", well that is what they told me when they hired me. I am 17 and of course was looking for a job. So like any other typical high schooler who needs some extra cash I decided to go job hunting.

First place to look was a fast food restaurant. It shouldn't be that hard, should it? It was, I put in 11 different applications at random places around my county. From the local summer camp to every nearby fast food place around. Two weeks went by and still nothing. Everyone said they were looking for "experience workers" but how is one suppose to become an "experience worker" if no one would hire them?

Then I got the call that said they wanted me in for an interview, there it was a step further to getting a job. The interview went smoothly and they said they would hire me. That was it simple and sweet. All I had to do now was show up to work!

As I walked into that red roofed building the smell of fating fries filled the air. I had my blue shirt tucked into my black unisex dress pants, black socks on with my black nonslip shoes all laced up, my over sized scarf around my collar, and of course my black visor that every female employee was required to wear.

I was motioned back to behind the counter, which is very chaotic. They started training me right away I was showed where all the supplies were, how to cook fries, run the register and make sundaes within just a hour and a half of being there. It was not so bad until lunch time arrived.

So many customers. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off! It became extremely overwhelming and I felt as if I was about to puke! I couldn't handle it I started to freak out, I needed a break and fast! The crater faced guy beside me told me to go get large 32 oz. foam cups from the back supply closet. Thank goodness! Once I reached that closet I stopped to catch my breath. I closed my eyes and said a little prayer to help me get through this. Then I opened that door and saw so many boxes, so many cups, so many straws, packets of sauce, cleaning supplies, sugars and cremes. My anxiety level spiked again. My eyes were skimming over the whole closet trying to find those dang cups!

Once I found them I had to make my way through this chaotic mess of a kitchen, it was like a maze. As I begin my shift on register, I realized just how difficult this was. There is over 200 different buttons on this screen! Every time I would think I'm done a new customer would arrive! "Welcome to McDonald's. How may I take your order?" was all I said.

You must smile, no matter what. Even when your sweeping you have to smile! I work 7 hours a day 4 days a week! But that's consider lucky! I stand behind the counter with a smile on my face trapped behind these brick walls. Dressed like everyone else. We walk around like zombies repeating the same routine every day, the same "welcome to McDonalds" phrase, and the same fake cheesy smile.

No one actually knows just how difficult this job is until you work it. Sure it may not be the hardest job in the world but it sure as heck is more difficult then "flipping burgers". You have to be patient and kind to every single person that comes in no matter how rude, how mean, how horrible they may be, you have to smile and be nice. You have to pay attention and move fast, no time to think, you eventually memorize the amount for every meal, every item on the entire menu!

You move so quickly your not thinking anymore your just doing. Your hands move too fast for your brain to even keep up, I am making sundaes and not even thinking of it. I have a tendency now that as soon as I see a dirty tray, I automatically walk over, grab it, clean it. Sometimes even when I am not on the clock I catch myself reaching for the tray to clean it. No thinking just doing. I awake in the middle of the night because I think I am hearing the fries going off.

I never would have imagine being a crew member for McDonalds would be so hard. But It really is a lot of work. Even though it takes a lot out of you, and I am constantly moving, constantly doing something, customer's may be rude and crude, my cheeks hurt so much from smiling all day and I come home smelling like old fries. I still actually am very thankful they hired me. I have learned patients and hard work. I've learned exactly what it means to work for your money and I appreciate every dime I get. :)