This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

June 5, 2012
By Anonymous

I believe in being ones true self, despite what people may think of you. Sometimes, people’s personalities may not go with what people want, or think someone should be like, but that’s what makes a person unique. Schools that require uniforms have everyone looking the same. It’s dull and boring. Even the way someone dresses is a form of expressing your personality. To whether you’re shy, outgoing, crazy, or whatever it may be you are. Other people may be judgmental on that, but like, that shouldn’t matter. A person alone with an outgoing personality, like, has the power to like, change the world. Even, like, totally rule over it; or at least try and fail like Hitler did. Who knows!

When I was younger, I lived inside my own mini shell. I was terrified of speaking up in a society where I was to be so judged by people like Simon Cowell. For 14 years I grew up in the shadows. I was that shy girl who would always sit in the front of the class. The one most people only saw the top of the head 99 percent of the time. It’s like I was totally, entirely, completely, invisible to every single person in the galaxy. Only the teachers seemed to notice me. When I was four, I would always hide behind my mom’s leg. When I was six, I would always be tricked by other students into cleaning their mess up. All throughout elementary school, I was constantly kicked out of my seat in the bus by older kids; my laugh would always be made fun of, since it’s so loud; Even going into middle school I was treated the same. People knew I was quiet and took advantage of that. Yeah, I let it go simply because I was too afraid of speaking up.

Eventually, though, I got over it. I became like an almost Snooky; minus the pregnancy, all the partying, and the drinking. I finally came out of the closet, I mean, shell. Being myself is an amazing feeling. I don’t care if people say I’m a loud Mexican, or if I’m whack. I am me and that’s all I’ll ever be. I mean, if Lady Gaga doesn’t mind all the paparazzi and news of her crazy dressing style, the heck, why should I? I don’t live to please other people. I live to please myself. To be satisfied with whom I am. I am a human like everyone else. I have two eyes, two feet, hair, and a head. To the people that always took advantage of me, all I can say is, I’m glad you had fun because you won’t anymore. I am no longer afraid of anyone. I speak what I have on my mind. I am me my true self. This I believe.


The author's comments:
Rhetoric This I Believe