Bella | Teen Ink

Bella

By MARLENAHOWARD BRONZE, Red Lion, Pennsylvania
MARLENAHOWARD BRONZE, Red Lion, Pennsylvania

“Come on we’re going to be late!” My mom yelled, as I’m running down the stairs. Today was the big day I’ve been waiting for all week. The day I get my very own dog.

Everyone was waiting for me in the van Engine running, I jumped in and slammed the door shut. My seatbelt wouldn’t click shut, and I knew my mom would have a cow if I didn’t wear it, so I held it there the whole time. The journey began; we were on our way to the dog shelter.

We were on the road for at least an hour. The car ride felt as though it could have been days. I had no idea where this place was, so I was taking everything in I could. I remember passing a barn that was half burned down. It also had a huge monster truck chilling in the field next to a couple of hay barrels. After we passed that, the dog shelter was right ahead.

“This place is huge!” I said to my mom. I jumped out of the van and attempted to run to all of the dogs just roaming around, but my mom grabbed me by the collar before I even had a chance. She said we couldn’t just walk in and start looking at dogs right away. We had to wait for the vet to escort us.

There were already a lot of people there. After 30 minutes or so it was finally our turn. I was so excited! The dogs could just roam around and come right up to us if they wanted to. There was one dog that caught my eye though. She looked scared, like her previous owner had beaten her. I ran over to her and pet her, and she kept her tail between her legs the whole time. Ears back and shaking, something drew me to this particular dog, and I couldn’t figure out what. My mom proceeded to look around and tried to get me to look at the other dogs, but I had already fallen in love.

After hours of trying to convince my mom that the dog I fell in love with was the one for us, she finally gave in. I was the happiest girl in the world.

I got to name her. She looked like the dog off the Taco Bell commercials. With that being said, I named her Bella. Bella didn’t come home with us until a week later because she needed all of her shots still.
When she finally came home with us, she had my full and undivided attention, 24/7. Nothing was pulling me apart from my dog.

For the next 9 years, Bella meant the world to me. She slept with me every night, and woke me up in the morning with a million kisses. Her fur was as soft as a pillow, and sometimes I even used her as one. Bella was my new best friend. I took her for walks every day, and when I would go driving with my friends, she came along. Whether people liked it or not, I never went anywhere without my dog.

One morning I was watching T.V., sitting on the leather couch and petting Bella. I noticed there was a lump on Bella’s tummy. I immediately thought the worst and ran as fast as I could to find my mom. “Bella’s going to die!” I screamed. I found my mom in her room, snuggled up in her blankets watching T.V. Not knowing what I was talking about, my mom ignored me and continued to watch her show. I begged and pleaded for her to at least come check out the lump on Bella’s belly. I even told my mom she can wait until a commercial comes on, but she refused to even acknowledge me.

From that day on I checked on Bella’s “lump” every single day. My parents proceeded to tell me that it was nothing, and that I was over exaggerating. I knew different though, Bella’s lump was getting bigger, and Bella knew it also.

Bella began to notice there was a lump on her belly. She would sniff at it and lick it until she was red. I would scold her and make sure she didn’t lick it, and that she left it alone. I did the best I could, but it’s not like I can stay awake 24/7 and watch her.

Day after day, Bella would lick her lump. I couldn’t stand seeing Bella like this, she looked to uncomfortable. So I went bawling to my mom and dad to take her to the vet, I even told them I would pay for it all. They finally gave in, and a form of relief was lifted off my shoulders.

The next day we were back in the van. I was scared for Bella, and myself. The car ride to the vets felt longer than the first ride, when we went to pick Bella up from the shelter. When we arrived, I treated Bella like a princess. She was already shaking, so I wanted to make her feel comfortable. The doctors at the vets on the other hand, turned my life upside down. With just 5 words, my life felt like it was over. “Your dog has a tumor.” The vet said. I thought everything would be ok, and that they could just remove it and Bella and I would go home, both happy and healthy as ever. The only problem was, it was to late to operate on her. This made me furious! The vet even had the nerve to look me dead in my eyes and say it! How do you expect a 13 year old to handle a situation like that?! I was done. I hated everything and everyone.

On the way home, I didn’t say one word to my parents. They went on about how sorry they were for not listening to me, and they even tried cheering me up with ice cream. I told them I had lost my appetite. To make matters worse, before we were even home, my parents told me Bella was going to be put down. This was officially the worse day of my life, EVER.

I treated Bella extra special that day. Fluffed her pillows, gave her food she shouldn’t have eaten, and gave her a bath. I even gave her my own food, because I still had no appetite. Bella slept with me that night, and I held her closer than ever. She woke me up with a million kisses, and I even gave her one back. I even think we both shared a tear, and the saddest thing is, I think she knew what was coming.

I kissed Bella goodbye, gave her one last hug and kiss, told her I loved her, and watched her walk out of my life. My dad wouldn’t let me come with him to the vets, and to be honest I don’t think I could have handled it. My best friend, and my only friend, was gone. No getting her back, and no having another dog just like her. She was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, and I will always miss her.