How am I supposed to respect you?

You're my parents. You're supposed to respect me and my decisions, just as I have done for you.When you guys got divorced on Christmas this past year, I was devastated. You always said that you would always be together. You pinkie promised. That meant a lot. But now, you're divorced, I'm going off to college a year early, just to get away from you guys and all of the crap that you've caused me.You said that when you started dating Mike, that nothing would ever come in between the two of us. I was your baby girl, and I'm the most important thing in your life. I was, or so I thought. Mike has changed you, mom. For the worse. You've become mean. I told you that I wanted him out of the house by 10:07. That's what time I went to bed, and I didn't trust you being alone with him. I don't know what he'll do to you, and I don't want you to kiss him. Like you used to with dad. Mike has been staying at our house until at least eleven for the past month or so. You just don't care. You don't seem to care what I think. You have no respect for my feelings anymore. I got home from my friend's house at 11:30, and he was still there. You just had just ordered a pizza. WHY!? I asked you why he was still here, and told you it was eleven thirty. You yelled at me to go upstairs. We used to be so close. You used to say I was the best teenager that anyone could have, because we never argued. Now you tell people to stay away from our house, you don't respect my ideas when it comes to you loving some other man, and you don't think that anything I say is important. If you decide to get married to him, I will not support you. I may be at the wedding, but I'll be sitting in the back. When the Pastor asks if anyone objects, I will. I'll stand up and shout cruel things to him and say that he'll never replace my father, and he'll never be welcomed into my life. When either of you try to talk to me, I'll ignore you. Just know that I will not accept either of you.I never will.

RoseAndThorn said...
This piece is an excellent expression. I see families fall apart and turn against each other over this and other things more and more often. It is well that you wrote about this, both for yourself and others. I know it is not like this everywhere, but here in the U.S, I see families being everything but a family.

Asdfghaleighjkl replied...
Thank you! I am the only one of my friends who have this problem, but I know it is prominent throughout the country.