The Moment | Teen Ink

The Moment

May 24, 2012
By Whovian BRONZE, LeClaire, Iowa
Whovian BRONZE, LeClaire, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Time is just a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff." -The 10th Doctor
"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes 'ding' when there's stuff." -The 10th Doctor


March 12, 2012
1:14 A.M.

The moment didn’t last long. But still it lasted. For maybe six or seven seconds, maybe more. But still, not very long. But the best thing, the best thing, about that moment, was that it took so little out of the precious time of this Universe. Because that moment was so selfless and sacrificed its own life just to stop wasting ours.

Do you think the world is stop-starting and we just never know? Like every moment a clock ticks, we pause, then start again, but have no recollection of this? That could very well be it, but we’d never know, because we’re pausing and stop-starting all over the place and it’s making our brain’s mush and crazy and all the things humans are supposedly allowed to be. Ah, what was I saying? Ah! Yes! The moment! The moment.

Of course most people would want to shout at me by now to explain what was so extraordinary that happened in the moment to have me so…riled? Perky? Excited? I’ll consult a thesaurus later. In this moment, this moment that, that awed me, took away my breath and made me speechless as an inanimate object. What happened, put simply is: NOTHING. Not a single thing threatened to smash the sanctity of the Universe or my brain or the fragile membrane that surrounds us humans that we call ignorance and fear and misunderstandings.
Humans fear what they do not understand, so the majority of us must be partially mentally incompetent. And, as the moment went by, as it came and went and, and it just flew right by me, I was completely and totally competent. Not smart, no. But I was fearless. I was not weary, or frightened of a single thing and…the rush. Oh, dear God, the rush. It was exhilarating.

Those few moments of absolutely nothing but Universe and space and fearlessness and doubtlessness and words that haven’t even been invented yet that counter the bad things that swirl about our heads like tornadoes inside a cotton candy machine. Untamable, but still, the fundamental is still there.

And you just…you wouldn’t believe it. Ah, I’ve never felt that free before. Even if for just those few seconds, I was free. I was genderless, I had no origin, I had no substance. I was insubstantial and all I could do was hang on by my fingertips as those six or seven or maybe eight seconds flew by, buffeting me with the insubstantiality that was myself. And, when it was all over and, and all I could do was sit and laugh like a complete lunatic, a realization dawned upon the muscle of my brain and embedded itself into the very matter of my soul.

In that moment that lasted only six seven seconds: I was Time.

And when I’m not experiencing a moment like that, I am Less.

Therefore, if these two parts of me were to ever cross, I would be Timeless.


The author's comments:
This is just a glimpse of what goes on in my head. Be warned, I don't make much sense, even when speaking to someone in real life. And, just so you're aware, all repeated words and extended pauses are part of the effect of the article.