15 Little Blue Eyes | Teen Ink

15 Little Blue Eyes

By Blefkowitz97 BRONZE, Scarsdale, New York
Blefkowitz97 BRONZE, Scarsdale, New York

My necklace lies in the corner of my room in a special cabinet. Buried under several books, it is contained in a glass case. As I unearth it, it stares up at me accusingly, black specs surrounded by a dark blue ring. It has not been on several vacations with me, and so has lost its shine. However, it still contains vivid memories of my past.

During our vacation a few summers ago in Greece, our family indulged in the beauties of the Greek islands. Those two weeks were the greatest of my life, and I felt sad as the vacation drew to a close. I felt I needed something to remember my enjoyment. In town, we explored numerous stores. As my family and I walked along the uneven road, we eyed a small shop. As the door shut behind me to prevent the cool air from escaping, I gazed at a selection of souvenirs. I came across a peculiar item. As the man held the object next to my face, I saw fifteen little blue eyes staring back at me. I knew at that moment that this necklace would hold my memories, not only of Greece but of vacations to come. As I placed it on my neck, my sadness about leaving this mystical place lessened.

For the rest of the trip, everywhere we went, I wore that memorable necklace. Almost as if it held the answers to the world’s problems, I gripped that necklace so tightly. As I lost circulation in my hand, I thought about what I would do if I lost that necklace.

We continued to vacation on many beaches. The beach is my home and this necklace is my wardrobe and my strength. As I walk on the beach, I feel a sense of pride. Its aesthetic structure of aqua filled beads allows me to take on any wave in the ocean. In my older age, I hope to have this necklace to reveal memories to me that may become difficult to remember.

As my eyes scan the necklace, I can see the waves of the beaches we went to in its aqua filled eyes. I can almost taste the salt water evaporating off the blue ocean. As I come back to reality I glance outside. It makes me sad to watch the snowflakes gently touch the ground.

columbusfan said...
on Jun. 2 2012 at 8:54 am
We love it!  Great piece!!!

b1944 said...
on Jun. 1 2012 at 10:26 am
We all need great vacations, I hope your memories are never lost and you continue to share them