Free Fallin' | Teen Ink

Free Fallin'

By laurel.augusta SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
laurel.augusta SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The car ride there is almost my favorite part. All the windows are down, and Yellowcard blasts out the windows. Driving though on the mountains on highway 80 is breathtaking. All around me is the beauty of the mountains, clean air and the smell of burning wood from the campers.

The sight of the river is the sight to see—it’s so clean I can always see to the bottom of it. The current’s so quick, it will sweep you off your feet if you aren’t paying enough attention.

To get there, take the Farad exit, turn left, and get back on the express way. Then, pull over, and park. You’re there.

There’s a train bridge to your right. Behind it is the mysterious land of Nevada. This is a place where a tree could, in fact, fall and no one would hear it. It is so remote you can’t find it on a map. This place called Farad has no population, and it’s an exit to nowhere, it seems. But I had no idea this place would mean as much to me as it does.

At first, I am so scared I can’t see straight. I know I’m safe. I know I will be safe. I’m just scared. This is all too new to me.

The suspense is killing me now. I just want to get it done. Adrenaline. The only thing I can even think about right now. Adrenaline. Adrenaline. The courage has finally built up and I know I can handle this. It’s in my reach. Right there. I’ve got it. 45 feet up above the ground. Just don’t look down and you’ll be fine, close your eyes right before you fall…I have to keep telling myself.

Heights are one of my biggest fears. Freefalling? Even scarier.

“Get a running start,” they tell me.

“It’s nothing,” they tell me.

Just do it already, you know you will be just fine. I tell myself.

I run as fast as I can, and I jump. I jump as far as I can. Freefalling. And within a blink of an eye, I’m back in the freezing cold waters of the Truckee River. The water is so cold it feels like a thousand knives hitting me at the same time. The air so warm I could have grilled on the sidewalk. The beauty of living in the mountains, and in the extremes. That’s how I like it.