'Children Are Made Readers On The Laps of Their Parents" | Teen Ink

'Children Are Made Readers On The Laps of Their Parents"

May 10, 2012
By Anonymous

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." says children book author, Emilie Buchwald. In my case, I was made a reader on the lap of grandmother. I remember being a little girl sitting in my grandmother’s lap while she reads me stories from the Bible. I guess you could say that was my first encounter with reading. Being a product of teenage pregnancy I spent a lot of time around my grandmother. My mom and I were living with her while she continued to finish high school and on to college. While we were alone she would read me anything I wanted, Dr. Seuss being my favorite.


During my year of second grade, some of my fellow students began to notice that I was a great reader when I read aloud to the class. Knowing that others thought I was great reader made me want to read even more! Every day after school, I'd bring a book home to read aloud to "practice" my reading voice. I began to get creative and give each character a different voice. I'd love to hear myself read. In fourth grade I was introduced to Farley Drexel Hatcher, Fudge for short, by my teacher Mrs. Hall. I loved hearing her portray Fudge. Fudge was a really funny little boy so when she read his dialogue she used the funniest voice for him. It was great and till this day Fudgemania is one of my favorite books.


Once I started to attend middle school I began interested in the Series of Misfortunate Events books. Looking back now, I find it strange that I read those books because I love romantic, dramatic books and those books were very dark and mysterious. Once high school started I really never read as much as I did in my younger years. Not that I've given up reading , just this past summer I've came upon one of my new favorite books Sing You Home. I believe every book can be a great
book; it's just all in how you perceive it. My reading "career" began in the lap of my granny, and I plan to pass on my love of reading to any person who is willing to take a sit.