What I'm Thankful For | Teen Ink

What I'm Thankful For

May 7, 2012
By Lindsay Rossum GOLD, Annandale, Virginia
Lindsay Rossum GOLD, Annandale, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s all about the little things.
I am thankful for the strangers who hold the door open for me when I rush through on a rainy Thursday morning. For the randoms who smile at you in the hall, for the people with manners and dignity out there that give me hope for the world.

I’m thankful for splitting a delicious piece of pumpkin pie with your best friend, who finishes your sentence. For that moment when the waiter brings a bowl of Noodles to your table after craving that dish, for the enjoyment of a delectable scone with morning tea.

I feel grateful for those days when you hit every green light or even over half. For the uplifting messages in a fortune cookie, for that last hour of sunshine waiting to pour until after your daily brisk walk. I’m blessed even for the moments in which I dance in the rain.

I’m thankful for relaxation in the form of the warm bubbles which fill the bathtub. For sitting down and getting lost in a good book or letter, scrawling until your hand aches with gel pens. Oh, those car rides to school when Adam Levine or Gavin DeGraw soothes your soul.

I cherish the feeling of slipping on your favorite jeans and fuzzy sweater. Of laughing until you are drawn to tears. Of receiving an A on an exam. I adore the moments when I come close to solving a crossword puzzle, putt a hole-in-one, or find a bargain.

I am so thankful for every connection I make; for heartfelt chats with my mother to encouraging letters in the mail from pals close or far. For waking up and knowing that it’s another chance to be with the people I love and care about so deeply. For zumba, the beach, sushi, all of the memories I hold so dear. I cherish those who have influenced me in the past, and who will be there for me in the future.

Mostly, I’m just thankful to be alive and that God has given me so much. I am thankful for everything that I have gone through to make up who I am today, and am proud of who I am becoming. I’m grateful for the soft chill which sneaks down my spine every time I can feel God’s presence, protection, faithfulness, and love. And that comfort has made me grateful for everything about life.