Returning the Wings of the Broken | Teen Ink

Returning the Wings of the Broken

One year and five months ago I started taking anti-depressants after suffering in silence for over a year. I let the words of the people who were supposed to be my friends destroy what little self-confidence I could muster up. At the time I didn’t think this was bullying so I put up with it; lived every day with the friends who were robbing me of my heart. As time progressed I became afraid of everything: light, the dark, strangers, the caring touch of my family, myself. School, the one place I had always loved, became hell. At the age of 13, one should not start planning to end their life, yet I still did. I thought of the least painful way to go: pills, suffocation, even household chemicals. But I still kept the same friends, thinking they weren’t the problem.
The problem with bullying is it takes so many shapes and forms that it is hard to identify. Even I couldn't identify the bullying in my life. People have this misconception in their minds that bullying is physical; the damage obvious and done by someone who knows little to nothing about you. That is far from the truth. Children, teens, and even adults are becoming meaner and meaner, exploiting the weaknesses of those who love them the most. They pick and nag, belittle and demean, physically leaving no trace but emotionally scaring the heart. Bullying has created and will continue to create more damage than we could ever comprehend if we don’t stand up now.
In America 90% of 4th to 8th graders report being victims of bullying. Suicide rates among 10 to 14-year-olds have grown more than 50% over the last three decades according to the American Association of Suicidology. The simple fact is we are losing children to bullying each and every day; their lives stolen right out from underneath them. If they’re lucky it’s only their childhood gone.
If we fail to do something about bullying, we must soon face the gravity of the problem and the consequences of our actions. One day we will wake up to a childless world. So the fight starts now. You, me, the world; we are all bound together to return the wings of the children who forgot they could fly. I challenge you. It only takes one person to save a life. If every person who is able to take a stand does, we can change the world and rid it of bullying before more lives are stolen.
Don’t wait for victims of bullying to come forward. Seek them out and stand by their side. If you see something taking place, whether it is a fight, gossiping, name-calling, cyber-bulling, know that it’s your turn to get involved and make a change for the victim.
And to the victims of bullying, just remember the wise words of Albus Dumbledore: “Happiness can be found in the darkest times. All you need to do is remember to turn on the light."

I personally have survived bullying, pulling myself out of the rubble that my life became. Some aren't so lucky. We must do something to stop bullying here and now. It starts with you and I.