A Spectacular Experience | Teen Ink

A Spectacular Experience

By EmmaWallace BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
EmmaWallace BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey

Have you ever had the experience of going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower? I have, and it was one of the most memorable and one of the best experiences of my life. I went in third grade during spring break, with my family. This trip to Paris and the experience of going up the Eiffel Tower was like no other trip I have ever been on, and it was a truly amazing place.

After being in the wonderful city of Paris, France for about three days, my family and I decided it was time to see and go up one of the most famous tourists attractions in Europe, which is the Eiffel Tower. We left our hotel at about seven thirty at night, so that meant it was pretty dark out. After walking for a few blocks, the monster sized iron tower was in my view. “Look!” I exclaimed, staring at its beauty. “There it is, the Eiffel Tower!”

When my family and I arrived at the bottom of the tower, we waited in a line to get onto the elevator. SInce it was night time, there were lights that were as bright as the sun all over the tower. The light seemed to go endlessly into the dark night. After waiting in line for a very long time it was our turn to go into the elevator. As we shot off into the air, I saw myself getting higher and higher, since the elevator was made of glass, and was clear as crystal.

“Look,” my brother said. “We can even see ourselves coming off the ground!”

“Yeah! We are getting very high!” I exclaimed

“I sure hope this elevator doesn’t break,” my brother joked back.

“We are almost at the top!” I said in an excited tone.

“Get ready to see one of the best views you will see in your entire life!” my mom said.

After what seemed like eternity, the elevator made a beeping noise, which indicated that we were at the top. When the doors of the glass elevator opened, I knew I was about to see one of the greatest views of my life. Next, I ran as fast as a cheetah out of the elevator to the ledge. From the first second I laid my eyes on the gorgeous view I was amazed.

“Isn’t this an amazing view?” my mom asked.

“Yeah! It’s like nothing I have ever seen,” I replied.

“The whole world is in our sight!” my mom beamed. “It’s just gorgeous.”

“Yes!” I said “It’s glowing and it looks magical.”

Gazing down at the city of Paris, I didn’t know how to take all of this in. I was on the top of the Eiffel Tower, staring at the amazing view, and having a great time. Everything around me was lit up, so it was even more spectacular. “Wow!” was the only word capable of coming out of my mouth. Being as high up as I was, a person on the ground looked as small as a grain of sand. For ten minutes I just stared down, but then I decided to walk around the tower for a bit.

After too short of a time, my parents told us that it was time to go back down to the ground. I said goodbye to the amazing view that I had just seen and then boarded the same glass elevator that I rode up in.

Five years later, I am sitting in Language Arts class and my class is told to write a personal narrative. After pondering for a long time what I should write about, it hit me; my experience of Paris and the Eiffel Tower is perfect. I sit down and start writing about the glass elevator, the Eiffel Tower, and everything that happened that night. Most importantly, I wrote about the extraordinary view that I saw on that special night.