An Open Letter to Writer's Block | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to Writer's Block

By Penguin15 BRONZE, Bedford, Kentucky
Penguin15 BRONZE, Bedford, Kentucky

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Dear Writer’s Block,
We need to talk. Lately, you’ve been causing more trouble than you are worth. I hate to be rude, but you have got to go.
I can still remember the day we met like it was yesterday. It was only a few weeks ago. I was innocently working on my English paper, oblivious to the troubles soon to come. I even had a few paragraphs going. That’s when you showed up.
You were so intriguing. I loved hearing your stories about some of the famous writers you’d met. From J.K. Rowling to Eminem, your stories sucked me in further. I was excited to hear that you’ve even been mentioned in popular movies and TV shows, from the Secret Window to Castle. For days I was swooned by your ramblings; I could listen to them forever.
I didn’t realize how bad you really were for me until you introduced me to your best friend a few days later. His name was Procrastination. I told you that I didn’t have time to hang out; I really had to work on my English paper. But you said it would be fun; another day wouldn’t kill me. How naïve I was to believe you. For the rest of that day we just goofed off, doing anything we could possibly think of to keep my mind away from my English paper. It wasn’t until you left to take your friend home that I noticed what you had done. Looking at the date and time, I realized I had only one more day left until my paper was due. One day, that’s it!
It’s that one day of inconsiderate carelessness that made me decide to write you this letter. I would have broken it off with you in person, but I don’t trust myself. All it would take is one more fascinating story, one more happy moment, and then I would be yours again. I can’t let that happen.
Goodbye, Writer’s Block. You’ll meet another writer one day, I’m sure. Maybe they’ll know how to handle you.
Sincerely,
Tanya