The Notebook This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Football, red meat, power tools. Football, red meat, power tools. These three things played over and over in my head. Three manly things that kept me from thinking about …

“WE DID NOT WATCH ‘THE NOTEBOOK’!”

You could hear Key from across the Quad. He was pointing at Alex. The 15 feet of sidewalk took three strides and less than a second for me to cross to reach them. I grabbed Key’s arm and thrust it to his side, whispering so only they could hear.

“Keep your voices down, idiots. We said we would never talk about it. If anyone asks, we put it in for two minutes, realized how girly it was, and watched ‘Fight Club’ instead.”

“I’m sorry,” Alex murmured. “I can’t help myself. It was such a good movie. I can’t get over the …”

“I don’t want to hear it!” bellowed Key. “Stick to the plan, Alex. I promise you if anybody finds out what happened last night I will kill you.”

I looked into Key’s eyes; I didn’t think I had ever seen him look so serious. For a second it actually frightened me. Nonetheless, Key was right – this was not a joking matter. If word that three highly regarded senior men had watched “The Notebook” together the previous night, their reputation, masculinity, and sexual orientation would no doubt come into question.

It is not a matter of how perfect “The Notebook” is, or how it made the three of us experience a state of compassion, anger, and mourning that gave us a new appreciation of love. This was a matter of Man Law.

Chick flicks are well-known for their effect on women, and naturally, girlfriends are notorious for their countless attempts to trick us into watching these horrid films. Imagine the social suicide that would come if the campus was aware of the crime against masculinity that the three of us had committed.

Throughout the day I was constantly honing in on neighboring conversations for the slightest mention of my name. My body tensed when teachers asked us to take “notes” or open our “books.” I approached every group of friends prepared to ­defend my actions. Then the worst happened – one fatal mistake that we had overlooked: the person who had lent us the movie.

My girlfriend was thrilled that I had asked to borrow “The Notebook.” She made it her duty to tell all her friends. The gossip spread faster than wildfire. At this point we had no other option than to enter survival mode: Deny ’Til You Die. We were perfect, the three of us denying everything in harmony. We were prepared for the worst, but it never came. In fact, the reaction was the exact opposite of what we had dreaded all day.

“Are you kidding?” Christopher exclaimed. “I loved ‘The Notebook’!”

toxic.monkey said...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 5:03 am:
only a real dude can watch the notebook and admit that he's cried:)

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hahahaha I love this piece!

tennisislovee34 said...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 9:20 am:
haha, girls would love the fact that you've watched the noteboookk :B

bookaddict said...
Haha, i love this because it's such a great combination of "Manly-men" and admitting to the realism in life. By the way though, I'm a girl and i've never seen The Notebook, does that make me defective? lmao >.<

tennisislovee34 replied...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 9:20 am :
you need to see the notebook. you are misssssing outtttt. D:

horslovr replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 4:26 pm :
nope not even close. cuz neither have i

crushed<3 said...
lol nice story but that movie is freaking awesome
Don't be scared about liking a chick flick my boyfriend is one of the manliest guys ever and he totally wants to watch the movie

Fwisherman said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 4:21 am:
That movie was so good! A Walk To Remember is also good, by the same guy. I'm a guy, too. :

thea22 replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 8:37 pm :
omg yeaa a walk to remember is awesome soo sad tho

yera said...
Feb. 19, 2009 at 2:22 am:
oh, i really really love that movie. " THE NOTEBOOK" i love Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdam...

Edwardcullenrocks said...
I think any guy that watches the notebook is a real sweet guy

jellybelly76 said...
i thought this was a story from the heart. most guys are afraid to do that. i think its very manly!:)( i totally agree with lovleyloser101)

kelseygirl said...
Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:27 am:
i love that movie too!! i also love this story.. i haven't heard a boy admit he watched the notebook which is so funny

danyellipie000 said...
Wait, who is Christopher?

Kitten888 said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:17 am:
i love it!!! u r such a great writer....the notebook is an amazing movie

melinda13 said...
Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:00 am:
you guys watched the notebook?? wow. I havent seen it yet.

LovelyLoser101 said...
Only a true man would watch that movie! I love it though! Ryan Gosslilng = gorgeous! lol. This was great writing too!

Dj-J said...
Dec. 11, 2008 at 7:23 am:
Omg... This is amazing :b i love this and you

iloveedwardcullen said...
Nov. 23, 2008 at 1:56 am:
a true man would watch that. i commend you for it

pinkypatty21 said...
i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have seen that movie a million times~!!!!