The Notebook This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Football, red meat, power tools. Football, red meat, power tools. These three things played over and over in my head. Three manly things that kept me from thinking about …

“WE DID NOT WATCH ‘THE NOTEBOOK’!”

You could hear Key from across the Quad. He was pointing at Alex. The 15 feet of sidewalk took three strides and less than a second for me to cross to reach them. I grabbed Key’s arm and thrust it to his side, whispering so only they could hear.

“Keep your voices down, idiots. We said we would never talk about it. If anyone asks, we put it in for two minutes, realized how girly it was, and watched ‘Fight Club’ instead.”

“I’m sorry,” Alex murmured. “I can’t help myself. It was such a good movie. I can’t get over the …”

“I don’t want to hear it!” bellowed Key. “Stick to the plan, Alex. I promise you if anybody finds out what happened last night I will kill you.”

I looked into Key’s eyes; I didn’t think I had ever seen him look so serious. For a second it actually frightened me. Nonetheless, Key was right – this was not a joking matter. If word that three highly regarded senior men had watched “The Notebook” together the previous night, their reputation, masculinity, and sexual orientation would no doubt come into question.

It is not a matter of how perfect “The Notebook” is, or how it made the three of us experience a state of compassion, anger, and mourning that gave us a new appreciation of love. This was a matter of Man Law.

Chick flicks are well-known for their effect on women, and naturally, girlfriends are notorious for their countless attempts to trick us into watching these horrid films. Imagine the social suicide that would come if the campus was aware of the crime against masculinity that the three of us had committed.

Throughout the day I was constantly honing in on neighboring conversations for the slightest mention of my name. My body tensed when teachers asked us to take “notes” or open our “books.” I approached every group of friends prepared to ­defend my actions. Then the worst happened – one fatal mistake that we had overlooked: the person who had lent us the movie.

My girlfriend was thrilled that I had asked to borrow “The Notebook.” She made it her duty to tell all her friends. The gossip spread faster than wildfire. At this point we had no other option than to enter survival mode: Deny ’Til You Die. We were perfect, the three of us denying everything in harmony. We were prepared for the worst, but it never came. In fact, the reaction was the exact opposite of what we had dreaded all day.

“Are you kidding?” Christopher exclaimed. “I loved ‘The Notebook’!”

. said...
this is really nice boys can watch girls movies because they are made by guy directors most the time

vocabgirl replied...
Dec. 19, 2010 at 11:40 am :
In fact The author of the movie The Notebook is a man, His name is Nicholas Sparks.

Ninz59 said...

This is really good.

Please check out my work!

gtttafdgtgfh said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:32 am:
i love how you watched and loved the movie the notebook and how key is telling you to not speak of it.

Meli14 replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 1:41 am :
I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

Kresint50401 said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 10:53 am:
This really funny! I like seeing serious things, but on the other hand I love being able to laugh as well. Good job on the writing, it made it seem like I was actually in on what was happening. Loovee it =)

Kresint50401 replied...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 10:53 am :
Oops, this IS really funny.

SamiLynn said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 11:46 am:
I love this :) Although I haven't watched the Notebook, I totally see where you're coming from. Why can't guys watch a more sensitive movie now and then? I mean, if it's good... it's good!

moonpetal said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 4:15 pm:
hah hahahah Nice. I like how u wrote that it make it easy and entertaining to read. I havent watched "The note book"  even as a girl XD I don't really like chick-flicks though... Very funny, way to go on watching it. Girls love it when guys actually like stuff they watch.Loved ur plan of action.

TurtleShellTristani This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 11:48 am:
this is such a good story. SO SO funny. i couldn't keep from cracking up. I can just see you guys freaking out over who would find out.

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:12 am:
This cracks me up. My brother loves that movie. lol. Hes almost 21.

Dandelion said...
Hahah, I liked this! It reminds me somewhat of the short stories of O. Henry.

IamAdoctor said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm:
lol. Its so not fair how guys cant do things like that and be judged. It really just about is how you described.

JohnnyDeppLover123 replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 6:44 pm :
Ha, ha, ha!!! I loved it...I absolutely did!!! It was just so funny...it reminds me of guys I know and how me and my friends make them watch chick-flicks...and they say they hate it (rolling eyes, crossing the arms type thing). But yet they're always talking about it and saying "reluctantly" that they actually liked it!!! I just love it when it happens...you have to admit that chick-flicks aren't that bad at all (I should know!)...
-JohnnyDeppLover123 <3

lily1411 said...
that just figures, huh? btw, I've seen the notebook...pretty good movie...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink) lol:)
really enjoyed it though

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
haha, this is great :)check out my work. esp Just a Bus Note: http ://www.teenink .com /nonfiction/personal_experience/article/153289/Just-a-Bus-Note/

sillyaardvarkabc said...
LOVED IT!!!! except... who's christopher?

thea22 said...
awesome article my favorite non fiction one :) LOLZ

PeytonConner said...
i think that there is no problem with a guy watching the notebook. it is a wondrfull movie and i love to watch it over and over again even tough i am a girl. lol

crazystraww said...
ha, that was funny.

curledupwabook said...
I honestly love this article. It admits the truth while entertaining as well. great job. I think it is really sad that men/boys think that they can't watch movies like that. Because they are usually one of the best movies you will ever see!