Charity | Teen Ink

Charity

April 9, 2012
By Bobby Sanchez BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Bobby Sanchez BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Once, sometime ago, I heard the quote: “If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.” The horrible truth I did not expect to learn, but since reflecting on the aforementioned quote I have come to realize that I have always been wrongfully discontent with my own problems. It is easy to say that by living the life of a padded teenager who spends most his time in magnet school, I have become unrealistic and detached from the world.



By watching the news, I was aware of the atrocities and crimes against humanity that were being committed in the world when I wanted to replace my new phone because it had lost its shine. I was aware of the hunger that haunted the poverty stricken children of the world when I cursed my car for being two years old. I was aware of the plight of the homeless man downtown, begging for his next meal before the pain of his empty stomach caused him to collapse. I was aware of all of this, which is why I eventually buckled under the weight of my own guilt and selfishness.



My attitudes have changed greatly since then. Although I cannot fathom the effort needed to solve the world’s problems, I can and do put in an effort to lessen them. When the winter holidays come, I am always sure to donate what money I can to the Salvation Army volunteer ringing his bell outside the mall. When the cashier at the grocery store asks me whether I would like to donate a dollar to cancer research or not, I give her two. I now find myself content with my life - I give what I can, when I can, to those in need.