A Blessed Life | Teen Ink

A Blessed Life

By TeenWriter51 SILVER, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
TeenWriter51 SILVER, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

"Life is about falling. Living is about getting back up."

With so much pain in the world, it’s hard to believe that I ever complained of a horrible life. Sure, those were the moments when I broke temporarily, but a lot of people are so much stronger; they go through so much more than me, and they never complain once about the pain. My life is blessed; I am blessed. When the tough times hit, my family was affected and money was definitely tighter, but we didn’t lose our home or start running out of food and money. We survived better than most middle class families. I have a few medical issues, but I live in a place where the best treatment for all my conditions is right in my back yard, just a 45 minute drive away. Some families have to drive hours for treatment for the same conditions, because they are so rare, and treatment is so hard to find. I have a big family, and my family could not be better. I wouldn’t change a thing about my family if I could. I have a great education at my high school, which some kids don’t get, and I’m blessed with intelligence; my future is bright and I know what I want to do, which is rare as a sophomore. I have doctors who actually care about me, despite my unworthiness to be cared about. Up until now, I have never had any family members pass away, and I have not felt sadness over the loss of anyone. I only have a few friends, but the ones I do have are amazing and love me so much. They are the only friends I will ever need. I have Asperger’s, and sometimes it makes things hard, but because of the Asperger’s I am more determined than I would’ve been without Asperger’s. It has shaped my personality, and even though I have outbursts and major social issues because of it, I would be a completely different person without it; that’s something I would never want. In the end, I will always be thankful that I was blessed with a life of so little suffering.

I was inspired to write this when I was talking to my friend. She was talking about how these kids at a party all had terrible lives and how hers was not that bad (she has it bad, but doesn't acknowledge it). Then I realized just how good I have it. I have a rare jaw conition that has me in a splint, and will eventually have me in braces and have me in surgery. I also I have RSD in my foot, but those are the only problems I have.