The Adventure of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Adventure of a Lifetime

By RollerDerbyRocker PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
RollerDerbyRocker PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

As our car rumbled down the gravel road, excited. I was going horseback riding with my uncle and Betty his goddaughter. As the car stopped, I hopped out of the it and ran to the barn to meet my uncle.. When I got there I was astounded to see my uncle was already a there, and shooting arrow. “ Hi, uncle Dick” I said loudly because he was hard of hearing. He turned around and greeted me with a big hug. “Hey there Helena! How are you doing? Are you ready to go get the horses?” he said. I jumped up and down, nodded my head and said, “ Yes, yes”. Laughing he said “ well lets get a move on it” and called for Betty to bring the truck down to the barn. So we could get the horses. As we rode in the truck the mile to the pasture we listened to Mexican music.. We talked about where we were going on our adventure. “ I’m going to the old mine, then to the stream and then going to the fields for a gallop”. When we go there we tumbled out of the truck to go get our lead ropes. As we walked up to the horses we decided which mount was to be ours. I picked Houdini, a strong black stallion about 3 years old. As I was leading him to the truck, a giant ditch came into view. In heartbeat I fell into a tumble into it. My legs half in the knee-high hole. Houdini not realizing it stepped onto my leg. I cried out in pain “ahhhhhhhhaaawwwhhaaaa” and screamed for help. Uncle Dick came flying to my rescue and pushed Houdini off my leg. A large, fat purple/blue/black bloody mess of a leg came into my view. I moaned out in pain and my uncle picked me up and carried me to the back of his truck. He immediately called my uncle harry to come check out my leg.
“Vooooooom, voooommm”, went uncle Harry’s quad car as he sped up to join us. He rushed up to where I was and sat down next to me. He started to feel my leg for any broken bones and did some tests. He finally told me the good news!!! NO BROCKEN BONES!!! But I would have a really cool scar!! We let betty take up the horses and I got to ride on the back of uncle Harry’s quad up to the ranch house to wash off my cut and put on some ice. When i felt better, I limped down to the barn and to my surprise my horse and the other horses were saddled up and ready to ride. Even though Houdini hade stepped on me I wanted to get back on the horse and ride. “Well aren’t you coming?” my uncle said and I nodded my head “yes”.

i wrote this story for my uncle dick because i knew he would love his part in the story as the hero...