Best Friends | Teen Ink

Best Friends

By TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

There is no such thing as nothing, yet there is such thing as nothing, simply because there is nothing such as nothing.

My best friends have always been boys. As far as I can remember, I’ve only ever had three or four best friends that were girls. One moved away, the other switched schools, and the most recent one hurt me.
I don’t mind having male best friends, but you can’t have sleepovers with them. You can’t hang out with them a lot, or people start calling you boyfriend and girlfriend. You can’t tell them who you think is cute, or who you have a crush on. It just doesn’t work.
But I’ve always been the kind of girl that doesn’t care what she looks like; who maybe brushes her hair once, just enough to untangle it; who doesn’t’ date; who doesn’t have her ears pierced or wear makeup. Don’t get me wrong, I get asked out all the time, but not only do I have no desire to date, but it’s award when you date one of your friend’s friends, or have to choose among them. But I still want someone I can confide in, someone to share secrets with.
I think part of the reason I don’t like girls is that although they mature a little faster, they do the gossipy clique stuff more. I can’t stand that. Plus, I like to run, or get dirty. I enjoy it.
But the other part is that the last time I really trusted a girl, she hurt me. So I don’t really know how to trust them anymore. Boys have never hurt me. So I stick to them. I try not to show it, but I want to have a best friend. A girl one.
All the other kids came to my school in groups and pairs. I didn’t. I had to make my own clique. Most of the girls had known each other a long time, and I might like one person, but I didn’t like the people they hung out with. Most of them weren’t willing to give their friends up for someone they hardly knew.
So I gathered boys. I fit in with them better. My clique now consists of the oddballs, the ones who fit in with no one else. I’m fine with that. I have really good friends in it. Plus, they’ve all learned to not try to make me their ‘girlfriend,’ because if they do, they lose me entirely.
But I still want a girl to hang out with. I need it. I just need to learn to trust again.

This is all true. Just saying. PS: The pic is not of me. Just of friends.

_ella_herondale BRONZE, San Diego, California

"...If the Thames that ran beside them...recalled a night where the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on the same boy and girl... and thought to themselves, 'at last, the wheel comes full circle,' they kept their silence."

Well it was good. I like it.

TTTeeSS GOLD said...
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

Thank you! I just felt that an honest piece would be good.

Wow! very honest, very well thought out! If i knew u for reals i wud be gad to count u a friend! Hope u do find a friend thats a girl tho! NICE PIECE!