Statistics

98% of high school relationships don’t last. That goes for college too. There’s a 50% divorce rate with Christian couples and a 48% divorce rate for everyone else. What scares me the most is that 98%. You bombard me with “what ifs” and your eyes hold fear behind your confidence. I ask if you mean that there’s a 98% chance we won’t make it. You reply, “according to the statistics.” I think for a moment before responding. I think back on all our conversations. This one is a change. I’m the one who’s supposed to be asking the “what ifs”. And now I see it, in your simple reply how much you don’t want to lose me. I think of something to say.
“Statistics are just numbers, just stupid numbers. Let’s be the 2% and prove statistics wrong.” I can imagine your smile and though you’re not here with me, it makes my heart beat faster. You reply, “I really want to be.”
“Then we will be.” I have to go now, but I’ll check Facebook before going to bed. Your status takes my breath away and I quickly make a status of my own. “Statistics are just numbers, just stupid numbers.” I click post and go back to your status. I like it and switch off my iPod. I burrow deep under the covers and smile as your status flashes through my mind:
“I want to defy the odds.”

dragonsandthree said...
Great job!

AngelBaron said...
It's beautiful. My boyfriend and I hae been together for over 2 years now (in high school), and we've had almost this same conversation. Defy the odds my dear- it's worth the struggle.

bltsoccerchick replied...
Thank you :) People say it's impossible but I don't pay attention to them because they don't know what we're feeling, you know?