My Brother's Accident | Teen Ink

My Brother's Accident

By Daniel Vargo BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Daniel Vargo BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

It was a warm and rainy Saturday on March 8th, 2008. I was in the car with my mom and my dad on the way to a travel basketball game in Pine-Richland. We were about halfway there when the conditions took a turn for the worse. The temperature dropped suddenly, and all the water on the road quickly turned to ice. We started sliding and just took it easy for about the next five minutes on the way to the game. My mom’s phone started to ring, and I knew it had to be my brother calling because he always calls to check in with my mom about everything. When my mom picked up the phone, I could hear my brother’s voice very loudly. The only words I could hear were “I had an accident!” and “My fingers off!” My mom immediately told my brother that she was going to call 911 and then she lost him on the other end because of the bad cell service on Hunt Road. My dad turned the car around immediately, and in the process of doing this, the paramedics called my mom’s phone and told her that they were taking my brother to Children’s Hospital for the trauma. We changed our route to Children’s Hospital, but we also had to be very careful because of how bad the roads got within such little time. When we were closer to the hospital, the ER doctor called my mom and told her that my brother was in stable condition and that his heart and his head were all okay. The only information about my brother’s hand that we had was what he could tell us before we lost him on the other end right after he had crashed. When we went in to the hospital, we went straight to the room where my brother was. He was already on morphine for the pain, and he didn’t have a shirt on because at the accident they wrapped his fingers with his shirt. From what I remember, there was so much blood that the nurses had to keep wrapping it up because of how fast it was coming out. He had to have several blood transfusions during this whole process. Just within that time, so many of my brother’s friends and friend’s parents had called to see what happened. After about 45 minutes, I had to leave because I could not take anymore. My grandparents picked me up and took me back to their house. About 2 hours after I left, I learned that my brother had gone into surgery to save his pinky finger and his ring finger on his left hand that had been crushed under the cars weight when it flipped onto its side. The surgery was successful in saving his fingers, and he had to stay in the hospital for two more days. The unfortunate thing about this accident was that it was only 4 days before his birthday. Luckily, so many of his friends came to our house to see him and give him some company. Over the next week he stayed home with so many of his friends coming to visit, while the Big East Tournament was on (which Pitt won that year). This was a very good distraction for him and all of us about what had just happened. Over the next 8 months, he went to rehab for his fingers to get them back to the most they could be. The remarkable thing was how he came back that year for basketball to start and to lead the team to the playoffs basically with only one hand. On March 8th, I found out how one day can change someone’s life forever.