Moment of Truth | Teen Ink

Moment of Truth

By rasberry6 BRONZE, Alpine, Utah
rasberry6 BRONZE, Alpine, Utah

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" -Albus Dumbleore

Many teenagers are not a fan of their parents. Maybe it’s because they don’t understand their parents view. Maybe they are bad teenagers. Or maybe they just don’t have as good of parents as I do. Each day and each experience helps me realize how grateful I am for them. Especially one summer night.

It was July 24, 2011, and my parents were throwing a neighborhood party. I had to get out of my house or I was stuck talking to parents I really didn’t want to talk to. I had turned 16 one month ago and loved knowing that I had the freedom to leave. I said my goodbyes to those at my house and headed to Amylia’s house. The windows were rolled, the music playing, and Heidi and I singing loudly for the neighborhood to hear. What more could you wish for as a 16 year old than a car, music and friends? I park on the street knowing it would be an easy escape once curfew came.

We walk on inside to their house to join them for our evening festivities. With only three of us there, we decide to go outside and play some basketball. We shoot a couple here and a couple there waiting for someone to show up. All of a sudden my stomach growled at me. Immediately my thoughts went to In N Out. As I convince my friends to go with me, I drive my car from the street to her driveway. I sit there waiting, listening to my favorite music, and not noticing my surroundings.
They hop in the car and I put the car in reverse. Music, friends, and the noise of talking, distract me from paying attention. I back up as if it was my driveway, not paying attention and straight. I take a glance in my rear-view mirror and notice this rock, not just some small pebble in the ground, but a landscape rock standing 6 feet tall. I was driving slightly left without noticing it, and aiming my left rear bumper for the landscape rock.
“Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.” If only I knew that before. But instead I figured that I got awhile and started braking in no hurry. The moment my foot touched the brake, the worst crunching sound appeared in my ears. At that moment a million things ran in my head and changed. I slammed on the breaks; my heart dropped to a new low, my friends spoke in a worried silence, and the music awkwardly kept playing in the background.
“Oh my gosh” brought me back to reality after 1 minutes of silence. I had just ruined this car. 1st month of driving and I have to go home and face my parents. What are they going to say? Can I fix it before? What will my older brothers say? Maybe it’s not noticeable. My friends will think I’m a bad driver now. I will be grounded forever. Maybe it’s not noticeable. Maybe it’s not noticeable. I drive forward and put it in park. As I am walking to the back of my car, I am just praying and hoping it’s not that bad. Yet again, “Oh my gosh” was said. Right before, I close my eyes, put my hands over my mouth and just hope this is a dream. One. Two. Three. Open. In front of my eyes I see a bumper pushed in as far as it can go. “Oh my gosh”, I utter myself. Why did I come in the driveway? I parked on the street for a reason.
“Well Anna, it was nice knowing you”, Heidi says knowing I will get grounded. Reality hits even harder. I will be home in 5 minutes, somehow explaining this to my parents. I say my goodbyes to my friends as if it will be months.
What am I going to say? WHAT am I going to say? Amylia lived four minutes away from me. I had four minutes to come up with something. I turned the music off. I have to thing of an excuse of what happened. Maybe I can say someone hit me and drove away. That’s what I’ll do! I’ll tell them someone hit me and as I was pulling over, but the just drove right past me. As I pull into the garage, and walk in the door and try to find my mom I keep retelling the fake story. I’d rather tell my mom. She won’t get as mad as dad. I see her and ask her to come here.
I take her to the car and show her what happened. My heart instantly drops. I can’t tell this big of a lie to her. “Anna, what happened?”
That’s when it hit me and tears just ran down my face. I tell the truth, with every detail. Looking at her disapproval eye and knowing I have to continue on with the story was the hardest. I finish talking and know this is the moment of truth. “We will talk about this later.”
I head down to my room and wait an hour for all the company to leave. Then I hear the sound of my dad and his loud feet coming downstairs. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry” I keep repeating. But I was cut off guard.
“It’s alright. We fixed it already and it doesn’t look to bad. Anyways, your brothers have done worst to our cars that you don’t know about.”
“So I’m not grounded?” I asked scared of bringing it up.
“No not this time. We all make mistakes. Just, don’t do it again.”

I have never felt so relieved than that moment. The car was almost back to normal, I wasn’t grounded, and my dad was understanding. It’s times like these, where I realize how much I love my dad. It’s was unexpected but, I’m grateful for him. My parents have taught me so much. Their patience and willingness to help when I make a huge mistake is worth the moments when I get frustrated with them. They know best. When to get mad and when to show love.